Old 01-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #11
JENinIA
Ribbing the Cuff

I have only been knitting for a couple of months, so take my advice as coming from a novice! I started continental knitting, but my hands got so sore after only a short time at first. I decided to go ahead and learn to throw with my right hand, too. So even though I normally knit continental, I throw with my right hand (heck- sometimes with my left) when my hands get tired. I imagine it is probably easier as a beginner to adapt to different methods as they all felt equally awkward!
JENinIA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-06-2006, 02:27 PM   #12
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Yeah, I agree, even though many here including Amy like Continental, I hate it! I can do and force myself once in a while so I'll be able to do Fair Isle when I get around to it, but I just find English relaxing and Continental nerve wracking. It would hurt my wrist so much more to do Continental.
But of course, each to her own taste.

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #13
geminiwb
Ribbing the Cuff

This is close to, but not quite, Carpal Tunnel. It has more to do with muscles than tendons. If left un-attended it can turn into something called Repetitive Stress Syndrome, which cause micro tears in muscle fibers. The most important thing is to stretch!! Take the advice of previous posters and stretch before during and after!! And try to shorten your knitting sessions if your wrists and thumb muscles are sore.

Some stretches you can do:
1) Place your fingers of one hand on the palm of the other and bend them back until you feel it in your forearm. Repeat 3-4 times on both hands.

2) Hold your hands like you are opening a jar and shake your hands vigorously (you are doing it right when your upper arms jiggle)

3) Like #1, but backwards; place your palm on the back of the other hand and push until you feel it in your forearm. 3-4 times per hand.

4) Roll you wrists in circles. (when i do this I sound like a Rice Kristpies commercial)
Whatever you do, do not ignore pain! It is your body's way of letting you know that something is wrong. Pace yourself and take care of those hands!!

Sorry for the lecture, but my SO is Phyical Trainer/Health Coach so I get this all the time. He gave me these stretches just for this purpose so they should help.

Take care and Happy knitting!!

-Wes
geminiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Hey thanks for the lesson, Wes! I haven't had too many problems, but I will start doing these so I don't.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:15 PM   #15
javede
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for asking, cause I was about to ask too :D
Since a month or so, my wrists started to hurt too when I knitted too much or too often. I guess I will begin to do those stretches before knitting know and before turning in the computer!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #16
Knittens
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for all of your help! I haven't knit for two days and it feels better. I thought that it might be because I'm left-handed and knitting has me useing my right, so could it just be from not being used that often? Thanks again!

Elizabeth
Knittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #17
Knittens
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Knittens
Thanks for all of your help! I haven't knit for two days and it feels better. I thought that it might be because I'm left-handed and knitting has me useing my right, so could it just be from not being used that often?And I only have metal needles. Thanks again!

Elizabeth
Knittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #18
mks22300
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to mks22300
Good question to ask! I've been wondering about that too and will also have to try those stretches before I knit or go on the computer or play PS2 :D

I'm mks22300 at ravelry
mks22300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #19
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Those are great exercises! I just tried them. Thanks!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #20
trucker945
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to trucker945 Send a message via MSN to trucker945 Send a message via Yahoo to trucker945
I remember when I was younger, I told the doctor that my wrists hurt. He told me that if I didn't stop that, I would go blind.

<--- wears thick glasses
trucker945 is offline   Reply With Quote