Old 01-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
prk321
Casting On

different way to hold needles
I recently watched a Carol Duvall show where a woman demonstrated holding knitting needles as if she were holding pencils. She developed this method for the ease of handling the needles and it is better for people with arthritis. Unfortunately, I didn't hear the name of the book or the woman demonstrating.

Does anyone know about this method or where I might find more information or instructions?

I'm a beginner and am having a hard time holding the needles and thought this might be a good method for me.

Someone said it may be the Continental method, but I don't think so. If anyone has any information, I would be very grateful!!

Thanks!

Paula
prk321 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-06-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

Link

This is just a search of her shows with knitting as the topic, if you can narrow it down by date, you might be able to find it!
Old 01-06-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
ella
Ribbing the Cuff

There's a description of that needle hold in The Knit Stitch (Book One of The Knitting Experience) by Sally Melville, I think that's her preferred method of holding needles. In fact, I believe it was once (Victorian era maybe?) considered more "upper class" and "ladylike" to hold knitting needles like pencils, and the way most of us hold needles now was considered to be more "peasant". Interesting how things go in and out of fashion
ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

It's the same way with crocheting... the pencil hold is considered more "ladylike" and delicate, while the knife hold is considered to be more rudimentary. Funny thing is, the pencil hold contributes more to CTS and other hand pains than the knife hold!

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote