Old 01-12-2006, 07:38 AM   #21
Angelia

I've read in several places that the bottom-whorl spindles are easier for newbies to use because the weight is on the bottom and thus balances better. Putting the bottom of the spindle on a table at first also helps.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #22
Mad About Wool
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mad About Wool
I agree that a spindle with a bigger diameter whorl would be good.

Knitter's Geek Code
KER+++$ Exp+ SPM++ Rosewood LM++ EbonySusannes++@ !Addi--
Yarn Natural Fibers+++ !Acrylic Stash+Scale+ Fin- Ent+ Flat+ Circ + DPN + ML + KIP+
Blog+ FO+++ WIP+++ Gauge F+++ Alt SP++++++++++
Mad About Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #23
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

I met the owner of this shop below at the Wool & Sheep Festival last October. He was selling lots of these Bosworths to people who valued his opinion and he told me they are a beauty to spin with. Of course I haven't learned yet so I cant give you my personal opinion but out of all the ones I'd been looking at this one really is sweet. He said it's got wonderful balance and makes spinning much easier. I don't think I could spin with a cd but I don't like cds in general that much.

Anyhoo... check it out, scroll down the page to see the Bosworths. Ashford is another big seller but the Bosworth is much prettier. I also got a bigger spindle for doing more than one ply. (that's why you use a bigger one, to do 2, 3 and 4 ply yarns).

Click Here

The Mod Squad was here

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #24
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Angelia, I've actually read the opposite, and been told that too... that top whorl spindles are better for beginners.! That's what I've got. oh well....

Old 01-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #25
Angelia

Originally Posted by Victoise
Angelia, I've actually read the opposite, and been told that too... that top whorl spindles are better for beginners.! That's what I've got. oh well....

Oh it just figures! :D The reasoning I've heard is that the weight on the bottom makes for better balance overall. But I've never tried either, so I have no clue, but I was going to purchase a bottom-whorl based on that info. Now, well, I just don't know! Wish I could go somewhere and try them out...
Old 01-12-2006, 01:41 PM   #26
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Ok, now you got me surfing all over the place looking at other opinions!

Read a bit of this one... interesting stuff!

http://wendyknits.net/archives/000543.html

Old 01-12-2006, 01:52 PM   #27
Angelia

Thanks, Victoise!

So, what have we learned?

1: Go light, not "boat anchor."

2: Where the whorl needs to be is personal preference. :rollseyes:

3: Spinning is as addictive as knitting.

I think I'm going with the bottom-whorl. I have a sense of it (could be wrong-headed, I know), and it seems to me that I would work better with the weight on the bottom...Maybe.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #28
Mad About Wool
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mad About Wool
Quote:
He was selling lots of these Bosworths to people who valued his opinion and he told me they are a beauty to spin with. Of course I haven't learned yet so I cant give you my personal opinion but out of all the ones I'd been looking at this one really is sweet. He said it's got wonderful balance and makes spinning much easier.
Well, I have never spun on one of these, but I have other stuff he has made (a Journey Wheel Spinning Wheel and a Book Charkha for spinning cotton and short fibers) and both of these products are excellent! I am sure his drop spindles are awesome also. I also find it easier to spin on a top whorl drop spindle.

Knitter's Geek Code
KER+++$ Exp+ SPM++ Rosewood LM++ EbonySusannes++@ !Addi--
Yarn Natural Fibers+++ !Acrylic Stash+Scale+ Fin- Ent+ Flat+ Circ + DPN + ML + KIP+
Blog+ FO+++ WIP+++ Gauge F+++ Alt SP++++++++++
Mad About Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:03 AM   #29
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Ha, like that summing up! I sat down last night and started reading this book I bought last fall, it's excellent. Called Spindle Spinning From Novice to Expert by Connie Delaney. A woman at a yarn shop turned me onto it.
I think it's time for me to get going from novice to expert!

Here's a good tip from her book:

"My experience is that is takes three days to learn to spin. Don't rush yourself... it is not your brain that needs to learn the skill, it is your hands. Your body needs time to build neural receptors between your brain and your muscles. Spend a lot of time on each step until your hands have time to learn and become familiar with the motions."

Well, sounds a bit like knitting eh????

Old 01-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #30
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
When I was shown how to use a spindle (too briefly), I was able to take home some really crappy student (cheap) spindles. Overall tho I preferred the top whorl.

I didn't have much luck resting my spindle on a table - I got incredibly frustrated dropping it all the time, but this just encouraged me to keep at it and eventually I sort of got the hang of it. I didn't really enjoy it tho, but now I think it has to do with 2 things - 1. the crappy spindle that was really heavy (I forget how heavy) and 2. the fiber. Now that I know more, I really think I was trying to spin the wrong type of fiber - it was borderline waste wool, not well prepared, and I had no idea what I was trying to do.

I really want to give spindling a second chance, with a better spindle and better fiber. I see people spinning up beautiful blends and silks their first week and I think that's the way to go. Well, maybe not silk, but something inspiring and well prepared.

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote