Old 01-07-2006, 11:36 PM   #1
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
How do you all organize your DPN's?
Unfortunately when I made my needle wrap (which I do love, its adorable so there!) I did not make low enough casings for DPN's because at the time I thought oh no I will never use those bizarro things! Well, I now have them in a vast assortment of sizes and styles - and have been keeping them in their little packages but that is so not working!

HELP! Any ideas???

http://knittykittyworld.blogspot.com/
Ravelry - I am Suegene
OTN : Dream in Color Smooshy Monkeys, Block a month afghan (on block 11)
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-08-2006, 01:04 AM   #2
WynnieG
Working the Gusset

A lovely friend hand-painted and decoupaged a box for me. For the longest time I didn't know what to put in it - until the day when I finally became frustrated at my needle holder - it too was designed for straights, with a little zippered pocket for things like needle caps, cable needles and stitch holders etc. The pocket was too small for my ever growing collection of dpns.

Well, it dawned on me that day, I had this lovely empty box and it was just the right size! So in they all went. They are higgledy piggledy right now, but when I can find those small elastics, I'll be binding up the matched sets so I don't have to use the gauge to sort them every freaking time I want to knit.

You can do the same - I think she got the box at an AC Moore or Michael's.
WynnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:22 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I keep them under the couch cushions.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
javede
Knitting the Flap

I got a needle roll-thing from my grant-aunt with a lot of needles and Dpns when I strated knitting. It's not made out of fabric, but crocheted out of very strong yarn. You can easiliy poke the Dpns through it and it's also easier to find them again!
Wish I could make a pic, but batteries are low...
Old 01-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
Indygirl

Originally Posted by Ingrid
Old 01-08-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Ingrid!

Mine are just in the packages, too. I was afraid I'd never figure out the sizes, but I got one of the needles sizers for Christmas so it's not quite so critical. Right now they are in the top drawer of my yarn cubby.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Ingrid

:rofling: thats usually where I find mine lol or in a skein of yarn

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #8
njknitter
Knitting the Flap

I haven't done this yet, but I have a plan for organizing my DPNs once summer rolls around. We have a small summer home that backs up to a large estate. The owners there decided to plant bamboo which is lovely but very invasive and grows almost before your eyes. Since purchasing a panda to keep the growth under control is not an option, I'm going to put the bamboo to good craft use.

Bamboo is hollow except for a solid section at each joint. So I'll cut some stalks that are a good diameter (a bit on the narrow side), let them dry out, and cut "cups" where the solid part is at the bottom. Not sure if this is making any sense, but the end result will be a colleciton of cylinders - one for each different needle size. This way I can easily grab the size I want without using the guage every time or messing with elastics.

Anyone have ideas on a nice way to label my set of cups with the needle size? Maybe I should use a paint pen? Or perhaps I'm just a bit obsessed over the bamboo!
njknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #9
Indygirl

Organizing double pointed needles
I have mine in many places, but when they are all put away I keep them in this container I got at K-Mart a long time ago. I was looking at the baby wipe container though, It is just the right size for the longest ones. Ginger Is thinking I just might drop one of the bamboo's,she loves to eat them.

Last edited by Indygirl : 09-19-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #10
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
Re the bamboo - a paint pen or a calligraphy pen!

Re the diaper wipes - that box is the perfect size! I have to run to Target, may look for a small pencil kit....or I just may make another wrap so that I can keep them anally arranged in order of size.

Cooper hasn't eaten one....YET.....but he would love to, he loves to shred small wooden things....hence one of my reasons for wanting a container!

http://knittykittyworld.blogspot.com/
Ravelry - I am Suegene
OTN : Dream in Color Smooshy Monkeys, Block a month afghan (on block 11)
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote