Old 01-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
ella
Ribbing the Cuff

favorite sock heels
I am really in sock mode right now, maybe just longing for short projects after all the sweater knitting at Christmas! I've only done the usual heel (knit flap, turn, pick up along gusset) but recently saw instructions for short row heels, very intriguing! Does anyone prefer these to the usual heel instructions one sees? Pros, cons?
ella is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
knitncook
Working the Gusset

I've done the short row heel and prefer the heel flap. I found the short row heel to be very loose (maybe good for someone with really wide heels) and not as sturdy. It looks like a heel from a factory made sock, but it seems sort of wimpy. I'm going to try it again on some socks for my son, but use fewer stitches to start with and see if that makes a difference. The pattern I see most often calls for using half the stitches from the ankle to make the heel. I will admit that it knits up much quicker than a heel flap.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

That method sounds pretty interesting... what's the difference between that and a heel flap?

My Patterns - so far
Last Minute Scarf,Sideways Rib Reversible Scarf, Trinity's Top, Hunter's Itty Bitty Baby Socks
punkhippiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
Silver
Instepping Out

Shortrow heels don't fit as well, but they are good for when you're working on a patterned sock. You can add the heel without much thought to how to fit it into your design. For example, my celtic spiral socks have a shortrow heel. See how the pattern is continued smoothly before and after the heel? Try that with a heelflap heel!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos

Last edited by Silver : 05-23-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
WynnieG
Working the Gusset

I just completed my first shortrow heel, from the GMS Maureen Socks pattern. I have to say, it fit a bit odd - seemed smaller than the factory sock, but I suspect that was due to human error - I was probably knitting more tightly at that point than I should have. There were also gaps on the edge of the short rows - it made an almost openwork pattern diagonally. I followed the instructions, so I'm thinking it must just have been an issue of tension that I need more practice with to overcome.

Apart from that, I really enjoyed working on the short row heel. I like the smoothness of the transition, and knowing that my colorwork will not be tweaked by insertion of a chunky common heel.
WynnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
Originally Posted by Silver
Shortrow heels don't fit as well, but they are good for when you're working on a patterned sock. You can add the heel without much thought to how to fit it into your design. For example, my celtic spiral socks have a shortrow heel. See how the pattern is continued smoothly before and after the heel? Try that with a heelflap heel!
Is that sock from your tutorial for cuff down socks, or is it a toe up? I'd love to do a design like that!

I'm pretty sure the toe up sock I did was short row..

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:25 AM   #7
ella
Ribbing the Cuff

OK, tried the short row heel on my current sock, it was fun to do, but I didn't really liked the way it looked. Maybe it was the yarn or this particular sock pattern (yarn is DK weight, so its a sort of chunky sock). Anyway, thanks for the input guys! Silver, that is one extremely beautiful sock!
ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #8
Angelia

I don't like the short-row heel b/c of the holes and general funkiness. I prefer the rounded heel and use it exclusively. (It's made with the heel flap.)
Old 01-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #9
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by humblestumble
Is that sock from your tutorial for cuff down socks, or is it a toe up? I'd love to do a design like that!

I'm pretty sure the toe up sock I did was short row..
They were knit cuff down. They're similar to the tutorial socks, except the heel, and the fact that they start with 96 stitches. I didn't use a sock pattern though, just a graph of the celtic spiral, which repeats 4 times around the sock. They were a lot of fun to knit!!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:29 PM   #10
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
I've been afraid to knit any socks not following Silver's tutorial, so my self-striping ones are looking kind of..off. I don't mind this pair too much, since it's only my third and I'm still considering it practice. :rollseyes: But I think I want to learn how to do the "afterthought" heel I saw on a KnitPicks pattern for my other pair of self-striping. Unfortunately, I think that pattern is toe-up and I don't even want to touch that cast on!

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote