View Poll Results: How often do you order yarn online
Only for specific projects - no real pattern to it. 25 60.98%
Weekly! I buy on impulse - price does not matter - specific projects don't matter, I just want that pretty stuff now 0 0%
Weekly/monthly! If there is a pretty good sale on, I will buy to enhance my stash 15 36.59%
Binge buy! I will order from several different places all at one time - and then I forget what I have and buy more! 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
How often do you order yarn online?
Sometimes I feel like I have online shopping disorder or some kind of evil disease. I am curious where I rank among you, my peers, gurus and friends!

Alot of times I will "shop" but I do try to control the impulse buying - and I do try to control the shop every sale out there buying......so I will look and think about what I want, and what I might possibly use it for in the future but wait to execute the order (for example, right now with Smiley's)

http://knittykittyworld.blogspot.com/
Ravelry - I am Suegene
OTN : Dream in Color Smooshy Monkeys, Block a month afghan (on block 11)
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-10-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
nah i don't need to shop online for much...my stores keep me pretty happy.

now for other stuff.......i go in streaks on other stuff but when i am in the mood to shop prolly best to just get outta the way!
Old 01-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
BonnieM
1st Leg of the Journey

I've never ordered yarn online I think if I start, though, I'd be a prime candidate for OSD (online shopping disorder) like what kitkat's talking about. It could get ugly. :rofling:
BonnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
Online is cheaper for the most part than buying at the LYS. Even cheaper than Michaels and Joanns sometimes! Depends on shipping and whether there is tax though..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
margie
Instepping Out

I have ordered online before, but for the most part I buy my yarn at my LYS. I know I pay more for it most times, but there is something about looking at the yarn in person- I have a hard time without being able to TOUCH it and see the colors in front of me! I also usually only buy yarn if I already know what I am going to use it for. I see plenty that I'd like to buy, but I am afraid of not having enough to make a project once I've decided on it, or of not using it at all and then having spent the money on something I'm not using.
margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:54 PM   #6
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
yeah...i would probably spend less if i mostly bought online too...having to click that submit button always gives me time for second thoughts....but i can't help but feel that the internet is driving business away from those little shops that are pouring their heart and soul into their work making it hard for them to stay in business. especially craft type shops....you know that most of those people own those shops purely because they love the craft. i mean, how many of us would open yarn stores if we could because we love it so much? *sigh*

thank goodness i have the option though...i probably wouldn't have gotten nearly as addicted to the craft if it weren't for the fact that i have stores so close to me...lol
Old 01-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #7
RachelJean
Knitting the Flap

When I voted, I clicked the button that says I only order for specific projects, and that is true. However, that doesn't mean that I will actually make all those projects. :rollseyes: I have enough yarn, needles and patterns to keep me busily knitting for many, many, many years. :XX: I definitely have OSD (online shopping disorder).
RachelJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
jhelanee
Turning the Heel

I shop at both my LYS and online. I try to patronize my local shops (3 that I go to regularly) and do get most of my needles/notions there as well as yarn for smaller projects. The first time I got yarn online was because my LYS didn't have the kind I wanted for a sweater in a good color. And since I got such a good deal on it I have continued purchasing yarn for large projects online. At this point in my life (graduate student) I am on a fairly tight budget so every penny counts. I do miss being able to feel the yarn, though, and am very hesitant to purchase wool yarns online because I have sensitive skin and can't tolerate some of them. :(

Recently finished: DH's small-gauge sweater; Secret of the Stole ii - "Savannah"; BSJ (well the knitting anyway)
On Needles: socks; Odessa (from Magknits)

jhelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #9
WynnieG
Working the Gusset

Up until this past year I've always tried to support my LYS with my custom, and didn't know about the variety of yarn bargains online. This year, after several frustrating incidents with my favorite local stores either not stocking the yarn I needed or flat out refusing to special order, I started looking elsewhere.

My favorite LYS' in Maine have online capability, but thanks to talking with folks here my eyes have been opened to a wider range of bargain yarns (those dastardly banner ads are working, Amy!) & I now count them among my favorite places to shop.

My reason for only purchasing per-project right now, is that I have a lot of stash yarn, some of it "handmedown" - someone else was clearing out and thought I'd like it. I have limited space where I live for my stash, so I'm trying to now evaluate what do I have, what do I want to hang on to and use, and what do I need to rehome in order to make better use of my yarn cabinet. Right now I have yarn in excess of the cabinet's capacity taking over a portion of our enclosed front porch, which we have been using as a storage area. I'd actually like to be able to sit out there of a summer and knit in the evenings at a little cafe table - but as now, there's no room. I need to have a yard sale and I need to hold an adoption ceremony for some of these yarns that I've been unable to find a purpose for.

Darn my frugal Yankee pack-rat mentality!
WynnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:29 PM   #10
knitncook
Working the Gusset

My problem with online shopping is that I am a very tactile person. I rarely purchase something online unless I know about it's quality and have pawed, uh I mean touched, it in real life first. It took me quite some time (and a lot of positive reviews from the folks on here) for me to actually place a knitpicks order. I like to touch, feel, finger, and even smell (yes; I smell yarn) yarn before I buy it. If it is a brand I know or have at least investigated at a store I will buy it online.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote