Old 01-11-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
SimplyKaar
Knitting the Flap

help with shaping a raglan
I've started this babysweater and since it's my first sweater ever, I was wondering if I could run the instructions as I understand them, by y'all just to make sure I understand them correctly. I think they are written a bit sloppy, or maybe it's just (still growing though!) lack of knowledge of knitting-English

I've knitted the back (or front) up to about 5 inches from the cast-on edge, ended with a purled row and that's where it becomes tricky for me.
The pattern states:

Shape raglan Cast off 3 sts at beg of next 2 rows. 1st row: K2, skpo, knit to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2. 2nd row: Purl to end. Repeat the last 2 rows until 23 sts rem, ending with a purl row. Beg with a knit row, work 2 rows stocking stitch. Cast off.

The way I understand it, this means I cast off 3 stitches at the beginning of my next row, then knit 2, slip/knit/pass-over, knit to last 4, knit 2 together and end with knitting 2.
(is the skpo a decrease?)
then on the next row I again cast off 3 stitches and purl the rest of them.
Then I'll repeat the above 2 rows untill I have 23 stitches remaining.
And after that I'll alternate a knit and a purl row.
But does 2 rows stocking stitch mean that I just knit one row and purl one or is it knit/purl/knit/purl?

Thanks sofar And, once I've finished this for both sides, I'll be back with a bunch of questions about the sleeves I think because it looks like I might have some problems with the abbreviations there aswell.
SimplyKaar is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-11-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

You will only cast off 3 stitches from the beginning of the next 2 rows, you will NOT do the other decreases on those two rows. Where it says '1st Row', that is the first row after you have done your two cast off 3 rows.

Then, you will repeat 1st row and 2nd row until 23 stitches remain (and yes, skpo is a decrease), the last row you work in this section will be a purl row.

Then, you will knit one row and then purl one row (beg with knit row, work 2 rows stocking stitch), then cast off.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:49 AM   #3
SimplyKaar
Knitting the Flap

Awsome!! thanks :D

I figured as much on the 2 rows stockingstitch but would have messed up in the casting off 3 stitches part.

I'm off to continue and do the same on the other half :XX:

thanks for your quick answer!!!

Originally Posted by knitqueen
You will only cast off 3 stitches from the beginning of the next 2 rows, you will NOT do the other decreases on those two rows. Where it says '1st Row', that is the first row after you have done your two cast off 3 rows.

Then, you will repeat 1st row and 2nd row until 23 stitches remain (and yes, skpo is a decrease), the last row you work in this section will be a purl row.

Then, you will knit one row and then purl one row (beg with knit row, work 2 rows stocking stitch), then cast off.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
SimplyKaar
Knitting the Flap

Ok I made it through and finished the front and back

Now I'm starting on the sleeves and I've got a few questions on those directions aswell, just to make sure I understand them correctly.
the instructions say:
Inc row (right side) K3, m1, knit to last 3 sts, m1, k3, Work 3 rows stocking stitch. Cont in stocking stitch and inc as before on next and every foll 4th row until there are 48 sts. Cont straight until sleeve measures 18cm/7in from cast on edge, ending with a purl row.

I understand this as follows:
RS1 k3 m1 knit untill last 3 stitches m1 k3
WS1 purl
RS2 knit
WS2 purl

RS3 k3 m1 knit untill last 3 stitches m1 k3
WS3 purl
RS4 knit
WS4 purl

repeat that set of 4 rows untill I have 48 stitches.

then continue with RS knit and WS purl untill sleeve measures 18cm ending in purl.
and do the decreases in pretty much the same way I did them with the 2 parts of the body.

Is that correct? I'm particularly curious about the increases and about the "continue straight" because the first time I read the latter, I interpreted it as having to knit each row but then you won't get that smooth surface on the outside so I figured that was wrong and I needed to do stockinette instead.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
SimplyKaar
Knitting the Flap

woohoo!!! I'm actually finally starting to feel like a "real" knitter, understanding patterns and being able to do something other than flat square things

Thanks Ingrid, I'm off to continue with the sleeves now

Originally Posted by Ingrid