Old 01-07-2006, 02:46 AM   #1
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Dying... the wool I mean
Does it matter if you dye before or after you spin? What would be the advantage/disadvantage of one over the other?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-07-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

Re: Dying... the wool I mean
Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin
Does it matter if you dye before or after you spin? What would be the advantage/disadvantage of one over the other?
You can do it both ways. I just asked the woman I bought my wheel from (yes, I did pick it up today! I just need to stain it and then assemble it!)

She said that some fibers felt quicker than others and if you aren't careful you can felt the fibers if you dye them first. She suggested using the microwave to set the colors rather than the stove top if you dye the roving.

I am not sure at all what the advantages are to one over the other. I am sure they would produce different results.

I do know that if you plan on painting the yarn to make a self striping pattern then you need to paint the yarn.
sockettes in KP Bare tweed

Crocheting:
Fat Bottom Bag from SNB - Crochet

Reading:
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #3
Arugula
1st Leg of the Journey

Well, you couldn't get that cool looking yarn where the strands are two different colors if you dyed the yarn.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Mad About Wool
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mad About Wool
It is much quicker and easier to dye the yarn after it is spun. That being said, it is much more fun to spin a dyed roving than it is to spin a white one! But, I am so heavily addicted to spinning and dyeing, I enjoy both equally. You CAN make a self striping yarn from a rainbow dyed roving, but it requires Navajo Plying.

Carolyn
Mad About Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Carolyn!

I agree with Carolyn, it's so much fun to spin roving that's been dyed. Especially when you get to handle dyed wool that's not yet carded, it looks SOOOO pretty in fresh-cut locks, because the tips of the locks will be a different shade than the base of the locks, and it just looks so GORGEOUS in that state. Then you card it together and the color evens out (card it lightly if you want a bit of heathering to remain), before spinning.

What Carolyn means by Navajo plying, is you take a single ply, and turn it into a 3 ply yarn by doing basically a huge crochet chain stitch with the yarn (just using your hands, no crochet hook) and spinning it to ply it together as you go. You can do any size chain to accomodate color changes if you want to keep different colors that you spun up seperate.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #6
Mad About Wool
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mad About Wool
Thank you so much for the warm welcome, Amy. I already feel like I am at home in a big, squishy comfortable chair in the living room!! :D Oh, and I love the format of this forum. It has so many fun features and is easy to navigate.

Knitter's Geek Code
KER+++$ Exp+ SPM++ Rosewood LM++ EbonySusannes++@ !Addi--
Yarn Natural Fibers+++ !Acrylic Stash+Scale+ Fin- Ent+ Flat+ Circ + DPN + ML + KIP+
Blog+ FO+++ WIP+++ Gauge F+++ Alt SP++++++++++
Mad About Wool is offline   Reply With Quote