Old 02-01-2006, 12:56 AM   #31
Julie
Instepping Out

Mer, I've only done heel flap/gusset heels -- short row heels totally spook me. I think I'm actually going to do afterthought heels, because I'm so chicken.

I must say, I'm not enjoying toe-up very much. With cuff-down, you get the most monotonous stuff done first, then get to turn the heel, do the gusset, etc, and it's not long before you reach the toe. With toe-up, you do all of the interesting stuff first, then have to suffer through hours of ribbing. :rollseyes: I had to put them aside because I was so stinkin' bored. :rollseyes:

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-01-2006, 01:11 AM   #32
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Here are the socks so far.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	toe_up_socks.jpg
Views:	2390
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	24732  
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:50 AM   #33
Julie
Instepping Out

Great job!!
Old 02-01-2006, 08:38 AM   #34
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Thanks Julie, but honestly what I'm most proud of there is that I actually managed to take a digital picture and get it in my post. The socks I'm ready to give up on. I got up past the heel on the second one and then discovered a "run" even though I still had the right number of stitches on the needles. The run was in such an ackward spot with the short rows that when I fixed it, it just didn't seem right. So, I ripped back a lot and it's still not back on the needles. I'm not sure it ever will be.

kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:07 PM   #35
Celine
Turning the Heel

Me too!
I'm knitting socks also from the toe UP. I will get help tomorrow on doing the heels..I have NO idea how to do the heels. Reading the books on it etc. isnt' the same as actually SEEING it done. That's the way I learn best I think. :XX:
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #36
vcuchica931
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to vcuchica931
Re: Me too!
Originally Posted by Celine
I'm knitting socks also from the toe UP. I will get help tomorrow on doing the heels..I have NO idea how to do the heels. Reading the books on it etc. isnt' the same as actually SEEING it done. That's the way I learn best I think. :XX:
Yeah I agree with you. I want to knit some from the toe up but I'm afraid that I'll do something wrong. I wish Silver had a tutorial for knitting socks from the toe up as well.

Kimmie, your socks are cute! Love the little hearts!
Old 02-16-2006, 04:34 PM   #37
jessi_9783
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to jessi_9783
I'm late but I'm joining this KAL. I've just completed my first pair of Sockulator V toe-ups, link is in sig. This is the first time I've made toe-ups and also the first time I've made two socks on one needle.

I posted these pics in the KO KAL but I'm posting them here just in case y'all haven't checked out the KO KAL.

Toe:

Foot:

I know it really doesn't look that much different from the toe.

Heel:

Please ignore my ashy knee and look at how the needle looks like an antenna coming off of my left foot. :D

Leg:

Finished Product:

I finished these today at 1AM CST.

I love how these socks came out so later today I will be starting another pair for my sister!!!
jessi_9783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:18 PM   #38
Celine
Turning the Heel

I love it!!
Last month I took three classes at my LYS learning how to knit socks the Toe Up method and I have to say at first it was not easy. The provisional cast on was easy but the short rows were hard for me. The hard part was I just didn't "understand" why I was making those short rows. Then thank God it just "clicked" and I GOT it!! I suddenly knew what I was doing and why I was doing it!! I have since knit four pair of socks!! :XX: :XX: I love it!! I don't even need a pattern just need the persons foot measurements that I am knitting the socks for. If I can do it..so can YOU. Don't give up!!
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:22 PM   #39
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
I tried my toe ups again last night and still cannot get the stupid figure eight cast on! gljvbladbckdcvqeuyvequf I think I'm just going to have to give in and use a provisional one.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:35 AM   #40
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
If it helps you, Cate, When I did the figure 8 cast on, I rubberbanded one end of the needles together, so that the cast on wouldnt slip off, and I slipped the yarn toward the rubber band so it could keep consistency. I also rubber banded the needles together alternatively during the first two rows.

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote