Old 02-22-2006, 10:44 PM   #41
Mer
Working the Gusset

Yours look great, jessi! Here are mine; I had some issues with the bind off being too tight, but otherwise they worked just fine!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	socks.jpg
Views:	2105
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	25235  

"I will remember that no one has ever been killed or maimed by being adventurous with knitting, no matter how pointy the needles." The Yarn Harlot
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2006, 10:49 PM   #42
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
Yay Jessi and Mer! Jessi, I'm working on a pair of top down socks in that yarn. I loooove the colors.
I should really start mine again, shouldn't I?

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:20 PM   #43
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
Finally cast on for my toe-up Jaywalkers! For some reason, the provisional cast-on just doesn't do it for me, so I attempted figure 8. After one false start, I've done one row! Whoo-hoo! Now I can't wait to get to the 'real' knitting.

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:08 AM   #44
Jackie F.
Knitting the Flap

Increase Cast On for toe-up socks
I don't have a pattern to offer, but I can share another cast on method.

I'm trying to make my first sock (toe-up) using the magic loop method. I researched different cast on methods online and in my knitting library. The one I caught on to the fastest was the Increase Cast On that is in my The Knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe. It's very simple! You cast on half the needed stitches, and then knit in the front and back of each stitch to double the number of stitches. the cool part comes next: pull out the needle and the loops pop to the front and back in an alternating pattern. (The more stitches you cast on, you might have to ruffle the loops so that they pop to the front or back.) Put a needle through the back loops from right to left. Then put a needle through the front loops from right to left. The working yarn will be on the back left needle. The first stitch will be on the front left needle. You can redistribute the stiches however you want.

I liked the idea of the figure 8 cast on, but I thought it was a bit tricky and think it'll take some more practice. The Turkish cast on is new to me and looks really cool! I will have to try it along with the other cast on methods mentioned in the Knitty tutorial.

Good luck with your socks!

OTN: Henley Perfected, Fifi
Jackie F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:13 AM   #45
Jackie F.
Knitting the Flap

Increase Cast On for toe-up socks
I don't have a pattern to offer, but I can share another cast on method.

I'm trying to make my first sock (toe-up) using the magic loop method. I researched different cast on methods online and in my knitting library. The one I caught on to the fastest was the Increase Cast On that is in my The Knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe. It's very simple! You cast on half the needed stitches, and then knit in the front and back of each stitch to double the number of stitches. the cool part comes next: pull out the needle and the loops pop to the front and back in an alternating pattern. (The more stitches you cast on, you might have to ruffle the loops so that they pop to the front or back.) Put a needle through the back loops from right to left. Then put a needle through the front loops from right to left. The working yarn will be on the back left needle. The first stitch will be on the front left needle. You can redistribute the stiches however you want.

I liked the idea of the figure 8 cast on, but I thought it was a bit tricky and think it'll take some more practice. The Turkish cast on is new to me and looks really cool! I will have to try it along with the other cast on methods mentioned in the Knitty tutorial.

Good luck with your socks!

OTN: Henley Perfected, Fifi
Jackie F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:25 AM   #46
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

I've done the Turkish cast-on. I thought it was a bit easier than the figure-8, but it ends up being a bit 'looser', though it does make a nice fold. I used it for the cast-on for my recent purse. I'll try to remember to post a picture of what it looks like.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #47
jessi_9783
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to jessi_9783
Re: Increase Cast On for toe-up socks
Originally Posted by Mer
Yours look great, jessi! Here are mine; I had some issues with the bind off being too tight, but otherwise they worked just fine!
Thanks Mer, your socks look great too. The cast off I used was for 2x2 rib.

2x2 rib:
K1, *bl (backward loop), pso (pass stitch over), k1, pso, p1, pso, bl, pso, p1, pso, k1, pso,* repeat between * until all sts are cast off.

1x1 rib: K1, *bl, pso, p1, pso, k1, pso, bl, pso, p1, pso, k1, pso,* repeat between * until all sts are cast off.

Originally Posted by CateKnits
Yay Jessi and Mer! Jessi, I'm working on a pair of top down socks in that yarn. I loooove the colors.
I should really start mine again, shouldn't I?
I love the colors too. I made a pair of cuff down socks in Simple Stripes Crayon. I just love Simple Stripes and I don't know why. It only has 3 different colors in it yet I just can't get enough of it. I think you should give toe-ups another go and maybe forget about the figure 8 cast on for awhile and try another cast on. I'm going to try the figure 8 cast on soon. Wish me luck.

Originally Posted by Jackie F.
I'm trying to make my first sock (toe-up) using the magic loop method.
ML really shines with socks. It's great. I absolutely love ML and use it exclusively. I don't even own any dpns. Good luck with the socks! I've had The Knitting Answer Book on my list of books to purchase and now you've given me another reason to buy it soon. So thanks!
jessi_9783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:15 AM   #48
Julie
Instepping Out

I finally finished my toe-up socks They didn't actually take very long to knit, I just got soooo bored with the ribbing that I put them aside for a few weeks. But I'm cleaning house.....

I have to say, I don't enjoy toe-up as much as top-down. I did learn a few new skills, though (figure-8 cast on, afterthought heel) and they're very cozy!! :D
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	0227_socks.jpg
Views:	1810
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	25397  
Old 02-28-2006, 03:59 AM   #49
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Julie! Those turned out great. I'd like to know why you didn't enjoy toe-up though. I know it took you a few tries to find the right toe cast-on, but I thought it was smooth sailing after that. How did the heels go?

I had to frog my toes. I finally managed the figure-8 CO ok, then was really struggling using 2 dpns. I think it was because they were 29" Susan Bates - really wily even after heat straightening (which really did nothing). Also, I didn't notice this until I was using them, but where the join is, the metal needle is crimped to the cord and is larger than the needle diameter. So every time I have to move the stitches, I'm fighting that bump! That and the needles themselves are really long. Really bad design. So I frogged and now I need more US1 needles.

I looked at my Crystal Palace bamboo circs size 0s, and the cord and join are smaller than the needle (concept!), not to mention the cord rotates freely. I can't decide between getting size 1 Addis or Crystal Palace circs - it's a splurge either way.

So much for finishing socks in February. :( No credit for me.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #50
Julie
Instepping Out

I think I like top-down better because you get all of the boring stuff out of the way first. Then you get to do the interesting stuff, like the heel flap, turning the heel, the gusset, then you're almost done.

The heel went great -- I tried a short row heel once before and it was horrific so I decided to do the afterthought heel instead, and I really like the way it fits! :D

I'm a little confused from your post..are you using 7" dpns, or are you using two circs?