Old 01-12-2006, 11:16 PM   #1
weepop
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to weepop
EEK! holey loop from nowhere! did it again. now with video
Ack. ok Hi. working on the Knit and Tonic "Somewhat Cowl pattern" for some reason every 10 or so rows i get this random holey loop thing that seems to occur from nowhere but i dont notice it for another 5-10 rows and then i can't figure out how to fix. i keep on taking it out vertically, crocheting that line back up again moving to the next stitch over, taking it out, crocheting it back up again, to no avail. its getting to the point where that stray loop needs to be used to form the back "line of the stitch" to crochet it back up.. aM i in dire straights and needing to frog again (for the third time) another 10 rows?! Its a sweater so if it gets patched properly and only shows on the wrong side i dont care! help please! (btw at first it was a smaller loop than shown but this undoing of each "line/row" stich thing has made it grow larger as i've fixed the tension on the stitches surrounding the original holey loop thing (hope that makes sense). (which i am holding up with my finger could you tell a cat took a nap on it?!). I really think part of it is the cheap yarn (is that possible?) its my first sweater so i decided to practice with lionbrand wool-ease (like 1/4 of the price for the complete sweater if i ever get there!)

thanks!
teri
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ack2.jpg
Views:	1105
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	24247  Click image for larger version

Name:	ack1.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	24248  

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-12-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I don't think it's the yarn. Woolease is very popular, I've used it myself, and I haven't read any complaints about the yarn creating loops. When you discover the loop, do you have the correct number of stitches on your needle? :thinking:

It doesn't look very repairable as it is--at least in my experience. Maybe if you had a picture of how it looked when you first discovered it, someone would recognize what it is. It's possible that you accidentally wrapped your yarn twice around the needle.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:45 PM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
it looks like a dropped stitch to me. Check out amy's video on fixing mistakes.....the crochet hook should fix it pretty easily!
Old 01-12-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

okay well maybe it isn't since Ingrid doesn't think it looks fixable but it sure looks like what amy does to the work to get down to the dropped stitch to me.... :thinking:
Old 01-12-2006, 11:48 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I didn't consider the dropped stitch because she said she tried fixing it with a crochet hook and it got more messed up.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 01-12-2006, 11:48 PM   #6
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

oooooooooooh i just did a good read of what you wrote....wellllllllllllllllll yeah i have no idea then....ignore me

*goes to make herself small* :rollseyes:
Old 01-12-2006, 11:51 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by brendajos
oooooooooooh i just did a good read of what you wrote....wellllllllllllllllll yeah i have no idea then....ignore me

*goes to make herself small* :rollseyes:
Don't do that! My first thought was that it was a dropped stitch, too. Look at the size of the loop, though. A dropped stitch is always just the size of a stitch, right?

I'm at as much of a loss. :thinking:

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 01-13-2006, 12:06 AM   #8
weepop
Ribbing the Cuff

sigh
its not a dropped stitch.. it's not vertical it runs horizontal...
if you look at the second photo. how the loop is pulled out to the left, if I simply place it down to the right like it was one of those "yarn" rows runnning horizontally, it would fit right in.
how can i prevent this?! it only happens for me on wool-ease.. thanks for the quick responses!

teri
Old 01-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
Ingrid
Mod Squad

It's hard to tell what the cause is, so I don't think I can offer a solution.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 01-14-2006, 03:47 AM   #10
weepop
Ribbing the Cuff

thanks
thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I wound up frogging 7"!!!!! it was really weird. like the thread jumped back and forth and sometimes there were two while i did it. I dont know where it came from! maybe because i was watching x-files whilst knitting. I'm taking a break from the lion brand... Its really pilly, plasticy and unpleasant to work with. I got a ball of Peru DK luxury (merino/alpaca/silk mix) from AC Moore (yarn shop was closed).... It says 3.5 st =1" (no needle size mentioned) but it actually knits up at 6 st=1" on 5s (i knew the measurements were off when it's gauge mentioned was larger than the ARAN and Chunky weights of the same company. It's soo much nicer to work with.Also i did a test gauge and threw it in the wash (handwash cycle with detergent!) and it came out really nice. I can actually see the stitches (opposed to the Lion fuzzy mess).

Have a great weekend,

teri