Old 01-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
suz
Casting On

knitting in ireland, 1936
hello knitters,
i'm researching knitting in ireland (donegal) in 1936.. i'm doing a play where my character makes her living knitting gloves.. any books, websites, etc. that anyone could recommend that would give details would be most helpful... i'm new to knitting and have been learning english style... i wonder if this is wrong for ireland??!! would they have knitted in the round or used two needles?? any other specifics would be great!!

thanks, suzanne
suz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-13-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
there are a few knitting history type books at the library. Online, most of the historical knit stuff I have seen applies to Shetland Scotland.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

She would definitely knit in the round, not knit flat on two needles and seam, if she did it for a living. The traditional way of knitting in the round is to use Double Pointed Needles (DPN's). Wooden or Bamboo (which look like wood) needles would look authentic. I'm not sure when circular needles were invented, it was probably around that time, but I'd say they were used primarily for hats and larger things in the round. I think Magic loop knitting and knitting on 2 circular needles are newer concepts.

So, I'd say if you want to look authentic, watch the video in Advanced Techniques on how to knit with DPN's (it's not that hard, looks harder than it is), and get some bamboo DPN's, which look just like wood. They'll look impressive and also authentic, and be nice to knit with.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Hmmmm, good question on whether they'd knit "English" or "Continental". I'd guess English. Whatever you see most commonly in Ireland today, is no doubt the same style they did then. Any Irish folk here to answer to that?

Also, be aware that there were areas where it was predominently men who knit, at least into the 1800's. I can't recall the details, but I know it involved english-speaking Europe. I don't think it's directly relevent to whether your character would or wouldn't knit, but I mention it so your character doesn't make a typically modern assumption about knitting being only a female activity. And it would be soooo cool to work in some education about the history of men who knit.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/093...lance&n=283155

Found this while browsing Amazon for other things, perhaps you can get it at your local library or through inter-library loan.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
I recall seeing pictures in some of my Fair Isle knitting books where women wore a hay filled bag attached to a belt in which they stuck a long dpn and worked off of that, switching the one that was stuck in the bag as they went around. I don't know if you need to go into this kind of detail for your play, though, unless it was about knitting.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote