Old 01-14-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
Tammy9903
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Tammy9903
Cast On in middle of row in middle of pattern
Hi! I'm brand new to this forum and am a beginner at knitting. I just took it up in November and I love it! I started working on mittens a couple nights ago and have reached an instruction that I can't figure out. I read an earlier post from Laurallf that was very similar, but this is alittle different. This is the instruction:

Divide for Hand and Thumb: K12 sts, cast on 2 sts, slip next 10 sts onto st holder for Thumb, k across remaining 12 sts - 26 sts.

It's the part in bold that I don't understand--how do I cast on in the middle of a row?

I've also never slipped stitches onto a stitch holder, could someone explain how that's done? I could probably figure it out, but would feel better if I knew what I was doing! :D

Thank you so much for any help you can give me!!

Tammy
Tammy9903 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Hi Tammy, and welcome!

All you need to do to get those new stitches cast on is to use the backwards loop method to cast 2 new stitches onto your right needle. If you need it, Amy has a video here (page down just a little).

As for getting your stitches onto your stitch holder: Just take the tip of your stitch holder, and slip each stitch purlwise onto the holder & let it dangle in front of your work.

I hope this helps!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
Tammy9903
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Tammy9903
Thanks so much for your help! I've gotten one mitten completed and am about half way through the second. Thanks again and I'm sure I'll be back asking more questions soon!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...67564298BTfNHa

Tammy
Tammy9903 is offline   Reply With Quote