Old 01-15-2006, 07:51 PM   #21
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
You should send a picture of that to www.schoolhousepress.com . I'm sure there aren't many people who've had the tenacity to finish that one!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-15-2006, 07:51 PM   #22
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Re: This is beautiful!!!
Originally Posted by mozgur
Such a nice job - it looks awesome!!

I also have to admit after seeing your previous posts and the picture of the shawl, I could not resist and ordered some yarn from knitpicks to do it myself! I hope you would help if I get stuck on the instructions...but I promise, I will give you some time to breathe before I ask anything, guessing you would not want to deal with it for some time!

I would love to see a picture of you wearing it, too! I hope your DH can help you for this.....and your mom will be so happy!!
Now, this I find amazing considering how much I complained about it!

I would be happy to help you out with it. The first bit of advice I have is to use some very long bamboo circular needles, and see if you can find some with a relatively pointy tip. Also, you might want to do a few swatches to see what needle size you prefer. I used a size 6, but it will go MUCH quicker and more painlessly, I think, if you use something bigger -- maybe even as big as a 9. See if you like the fabric that results from that. I'd be interested to see how it turns out.

Finally, don't be afraid of the Sawtooth Border that EZ suggests -- it works fine w/ the lace-weight yarn, even though I thought it wouldn't hold the shape. There are a couple of changes in the instructions in the book, though. (Row 14: YF after you slip 2; Row 17: DON'T TURN!)

Wait -- a couple more things -- I had an entire hank of yarn left over, and if you're fairly new at this, I would highly recommend knitting a very small "test" shawl in order to work through EZ's instructions. If you are not a seasoned knitter, not everything she says is intuitive. Oh, yes, and after a while, you'll want to K2tog either before or after the side increases; otherwise it just keeps getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger!!

And, mostly, GOOD LUCK!!! What color yarn did you get?

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:52 PM   #23
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Originally Posted by Ingrid
You should send a picture of that to www.schoolhousepress.com . I'm sure there aren't many people who've had the tenacity to finish that one!
That's a good idea, Ingrid!! I'll look into doing that.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
Old 01-15-2006, 09:17 PM   #24
Lana
Turning the Heel

That is AWESOME!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 09:31 PM   #25
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Thanks, Lana! :D

BTW ... I love your signature!!

Old 01-15-2006, 10:01 PM   #26
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

Wow, you did a fantastic job with that. I admire you; I started that shawl once and got sick of it by the time I got to about the level of the shoulder blades! :rollseyes:
You had mentioned before you didn't love the Shimmer yarn. Did you get to like it better? I really love that yarn. Amazing just how far one hank of it goes, isn't it?

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #27
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

Julie,

That is beautiful! Wow there are just no words!
sockettes in KP Bare tweed

Crocheting:
Fat Bottom Bag from SNB - Crochet

Reading:
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #28
mintdee
Working the Gusset

That is sooooo pretty

Congrats on finishing that!

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. Aristotle

OTN:
sweater from hell for TJ
simple socks
mintdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:35 AM   #29
mozgur
Casting On

Re: This is beautiful!!!
Originally Posted by DotMom61
Now, this I find amazing considering how much I complained about it!
I knew it would be challenging, but I admired how you kept going at it and did not give up! :sunny: ...and look at the result; it is just sooo beautiful!

I would be happy to help you out with it. The first bit of advice I have is to use some very long bamboo circular needles, and see if you can find some with a relatively pointy tip. Also, you might want to do a few swatches to see what needle size you prefer. I used a size 6, but it will go MUCH quicker and more painlessly, I think, if you use something bigger -- maybe even as big as a 9. See if you like the fabric that results from that. I'd be interested to see how it turns out.
I just tried that yesterday! I tried it with size 4, 6, 8 and 10 1/2 needles, and even though I started with size 8, somehow I did not feel like I was comfortable with the fabric, and restarted again with size 6!!! Now, hearing you say this, maybe I should reconsider... :thinking: On the circulars, I had a 29" long bamboo one, and the needle part felt longer than it should have been, so I was thinking to get a 24" one?...and I know bamboo is really nice, but I am not sure if they do pointy enough needles with bamboo; I will try to find one...

Finally, don't be afraid of the Sawtooth Border that EZ suggests -- it works fine w/ the lace-weight yarn, even though I thought it wouldn't hold the shape. There are a couple of changes in the instructions in the book, though. (Row 14: YF after you slip 2; Row 17: DON'T TURN!)
I made a sample, and I should have taken a picture to double check with you. I realized the mistake at row 17, but probably skipped the row 14 - thank you!!! The question is, I think I got the idea, but the two I-cord sides of the triangle did not really seemed symmetrical, I think I am not sure where to pick up the stitches on the left I-cord side. Is it from the middle of the very left 2 stitches??

Wait -- a couple more things -- I had an entire hank of yarn left over, and if you're fairly new at this, I would highly recommend knitting a very small "test" shawl in order to work through EZ's instructions. If you are not a seasoned knitter, not everything she says is intuitive. Oh, yes, and after a while, you'll want to K2tog either before or after the side increases; otherwise it just keeps getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger!!
Being as impatient as I was, I ordered the whole 4 skeins of the yarn they recommended at knitpicks....I got the Shimmer yarn, color Maple Leaf...Just arrived on Saturday, and it really looks very delicate. If I have left over yarn too, maybe we can start a lace scarf on the knit-alongs together, and use it that way!?

And, mostly, GOOD LUCK!!! What color yarn did you get?
Thank you!!! I will do my best :XX: and I hope one day I can take a picture to show it to you!
mozgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #30
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
So pretty!
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote