Old 01-15-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
My student's first work!
I am just SO terribly excited, I had to share. I had my tea and knitting date with my very dear friend last night to teach her how to knit. She's quite a crafty chick, but never with yarn, and I just babbled and babbled to her about knitting and showed her pictures of the most beautiful fibers I could find and I knew if I kept at it, she would get the bug. Mission accomplished! (Do I get a free toaster or something?) Anyway, here is a picture of her first thing, which we will call.... a potholder. I did the first 2 or 3 rows and she took over. (she was already successfully knitting a different piece, but preferred this yarn and wanted to try my Brittany needles, but she's an ace at casting on already.)

Is she awesome, or what?! I know my first project didn't look like that!!! Next lesson is purling! I think teaching knitting is almost even better than knitting itself! Had to share, thanks for looking.

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-15-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Good for you! And her!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
thanks, ingrid!!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
Old 01-15-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Isn't fun to bring people over to the knitting world and watch them become addictive MY SIL wanted to learn in Oct. she is catching on good only thing is I live 3 1/2 hrs away so she just got off the knit stitch in Dec. So was getting so tired of garter stitch scarves LOL..

She did awesome on her first pot holder

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

she did a couple rows of her first scarf last night and calls me this morning, hours after waking, and she's all, it's like 12 inches long!!!! teehee!!! i'm really looking forward to our lessons, though, it was way fun!

Old 01-15-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
Cristy
Instepping Out

boy--I had a similar experience last week--I started a SnB here in my area and one of the most supportive members is my best friend heather--she knows a little about crocheting but nothing about knitting. I started showing her what to do and she was catching on so quick! I loved showing her what to do--she made it through knit and purl and slip knit wise and purl wise in two hours! She just told me she didn't practice so I might have to re-teach her...(I doubt that!)...I loved getting to show someone else how addicting knitting can be!
Congrats to you and your friend--she's doing great!

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Isnt it FUN to have a protege?? Good for BOTH of you!

(I have to tell you, Pele....I think you are just ADORABLE. )
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:16 PM   #8
Amber
Working the Gusset

You go! I've tried to get my dh interested in knitting, just so I'd have someone to share my excitement with, and it's um... not working... :rollseyes:

But, good for you and your friend. It looks like she's a natural!
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:08 AM   #9
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

it is just so neat to watch, isn't it?! she picked up the knit stitch SO fast I was *almost* mad at her and she already recognizes mistake stitches and catches drops and it makes me a little ill, but i love her so it's okay! i was all and when i learned (before i found KH of course)! i quit TWICE! i actually tried to teach her crochet many years ago, but that didn't work out. apparently knitting is her niche.

kelly, it is marvelous to have a protege and you're a doll, thanks for making me smile :P

Old 02-19-2006, 02:31 PM   #10
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

her first FO!!!!
so this is way late, but for her lesson in purling, she came bearing a gift knit all by herself from start to finish. i wasn't even involved in her yarn purchase! :(

I my scarf! Her obession for fiber and SEX's nearly matches her tutor's and I LOVE it. ;-)