Old 01-16-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
ScandaKnitvian
Ribbing the Cuff

Fixing Stockinette Curl--Serape
Hi! I learned to knit this past summer and have made a few scarves, a poncho, and some girls' headbands. Now I'm making the serape (poncho like garment) in Sally Melville's _The Purl Stitch_. The front and back are knit in two sections, all in stockinette st, and joined at the shoulder. Then a reverse stockinette border is added around all the edges. I thought I'd try knitting a garter stitch border as I'm knitting the rest, not after. I added in the extra stitches into my count, BUT now the garter stitch border seems to want to "flip" the other way, instead of laying flat. I have about 22 rows of the front piece knit. Should I pull out the whole thing and start over, doing it the way the book says? Or do you think it will lay flatter as it gets bigger?

TIA for any help you can give me!

Patty
ScandaKnitvian is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-16-2006, 09:58 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
The border was probably added later to avoid this.

If your poncho is made of natural fibers, you might be able to block it flat, but if it's acrylic or mostly acrylic, it probably won't stay down if you try to block it.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
ScandaKnitvian
Ribbing the Cuff

OK, I pulled it all out...and started over! Thankfully I wasn't TOO far into this big project. I was wondering, though, why it matters if the border is added AFTER the rest of the project is done. Does that help correct the curl of stockinette? Why wouldn't it work to knit the border at the same time?

Thanks for your help! I have a lot to learn, but it's very fun.

Patty
ScandaKnitvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
When you pick up and knit across the cast on edge, it forms more of a ridge inside. Also the stitches are going in a different direction. Probably the combination of the two help to avoid curling.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote