Old 01-15-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
Darhain
1st Leg of the Journey

How do you keep your knitting away from your small children?
I am so frustrated! DD just ripped out a HUGE amount of my Irish Hiking Scarf. I was almost finished with it, and she probably destroyed two hours worth of work. :( Not to mention that trying to figure out where I am in a cabled pattern is really difficult for me -- I'm just not that good yet.

The thing is, it was in my knitting bag, which was stowed on the top shelf of my closet. DD is two, but she's a monkey, and can climb anywhere. The top shelf of the closet is a good eight feet tall, but that didn't stop her! And all while I was helping her brother get a snack, so it didn't take her long.

What do you do to keep your knitting away from your kids? (Assuming you have kids.) I am starting to think I need a freakin' lock box to keep my knitting safe. This is not the first time this has happened, and I know she's just curious about what I am doing, but still ... ARRRGGHH!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-15-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
knitterma
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to knitterma
Holy cow! She got way up there, eh? Maybe you could make a small knitting organizer for hanging on the wall - in a high place, with no climbing apparatus nearby.

Too lazy to do a siggie...

Antennas to Heaven
knitterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
joe_doufu
1st Leg of the Journey

Work a strand of electric fence wire into the knitting. After she gets shocked by two or three separate projects she'll be conditioned and probably never your knitting again.

When she's 25 and her friends are trying to get her into knitting, she won't undersand why she gets the shivers and freaks out in the presence of yarn and needles.

(just kidding!)
joe_doufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Originally Posted by joe_doufu
Work a strand of electric fence wire into the knitting. After she gets shocked by two or three separate projects she'll be conditioned and probably never your knitting again.

When she's 25 and her friends are trying to get her into knitting, she won't undersand why she gets the shivers and freaks out in the presence of yarn and needles.

(just kidding!)

Maybe you could set her up with her own 'knitting bag'? Just some yarn and notions--no needles, of course. Maybe if she has that to play with she won't go after yours.

Other than that, a briefcase with a lock. :rofling:

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
Lana
Turning the Heel

I guess I was lucky. My kids learned their boundries easily and early. "As soon as I finish this row" taught them I wasn't going to jump every time they wanted something.

I had a SIL who had a climber. Found her at 10 mos sitting on the kitchen table eating sugar from the bowl. At 3 yrs she fell off the tall chest of drawers and broke her clavicle (can't think of the other term).

"Creative" childern require creative parenting. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:57 PM   #6
Lana
Turning the Heel

I just read Joe's reply. Way ta go Joe!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #7
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
to Joe's reply

My daughter is two and nothing stops here either except I bought a bag that had a lock on it wasn't what you would consider a knitting bag but it worked to keep her out of it but I hated that I had to keep locking it ... Now I can keep things in my orange bag closed up and she cannot get in it... I like Ingrid's idea cause Roo when I do forget and leave something down I catch her trying to knit with it.. or while I'm knitting she trys to hold the yarn like me.. she knows she is not suppose to get into it so if I do catch her she usually throws it and runs off laughing :rollseyes: they also know mommy has to finish a row before they get what they want.. which took time to work on cause they were used to me just jumping when they said mommmmmiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee :D

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:07 PM   #8
butterflymama
Knitting the Flap

Is your refrigerator tall? If so, you could store it up there. My son is 2 and quite the climber but my fridge is really tall so even when he pushes a chair over he cannot reach it as long as it is not on the edge.

Sorry she ripped it out but, in her defense, that must have been so much fun!
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
How old is your daughter? If she's old enough you can start teaching her about "mommy's toys" and "DD's toys". Put it in a locked box for now and tell her that is mommy's toybox.

If she's very young I would be careful giving her yarn. Keep an eye on her with it as she might eat it or choke herself.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:47 PM   #10
Darhain
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by joe_doufu

(just kidding!)

Actually, DH and I were just joking about putting up an electric fence around my computer last night. DD climbed the safety gate over the door to my office, climbed up on my desk, and inserted some "moneys" (that would be coins) into the CD ROM drive. We had to replace the whole drive unit (a dual drive, so also a DVD/R drive) last night as the "moneys" completely destroyed the thing.

In the past, DD has been known to climb over the safety gate, climb up on my desk, and attempt to eat the pushpins in the corkboard on the wall over my desk. (It's no longer hanging on the wall over my desk, as you might imagine.) The refrigerator is out, too -- I found her on the top of the fridge at 13 months. I'm telling you, I gave birth to a monkey! She is totally fearless! Luckily, we haven't had any trips to the ER with her, thus far!

We are working on the "mama's things" vs "DD's things". Like I said, she's two, so that's just now starting to maybe mean something to her.

Thanks for all the replies! I really needed to vent!