Old 01-16-2006, 11:27 PM   #1
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
Knots in yarn and other annoying things
I just finished my second booga (I did not post a picture because I figured if you've seen one of my boogas you've seen them all!) and I noticed something about the Noro yarn this time around that really bothered me. First of all, I made a mistake and ended up frogging all the way back to the beginning. When I re-used that yarn to start from the beginning, the yarn would actually just break! I would give it a little tug (no more so than I do when I'm knitting any other time) and the strand would just rip! Is this common? I thought I read where wool can be worked with a lot and is resilient. Well, the 3 skeins of Noro I used for my second booga were NOT resilient. I had breakage with another skein as well, one I had NOT used before.

Then, I was shocked to find knots in the middle of the skeins! Is that normal? I did go ahead and break that and then felted the two ends together and it turned out ok, but I wondered if it's common to find knots in the middle of your skein.

Right now I'm working on an Ugg purse for my daughter. I'm working along using two strands of Berroco Suede, and I found a knot in one skein! It was all too close to my hand to cut both strands and try to start knitting with new, so I went ahead and knitted with the knot there. It was right where I was going to bind off, and I'm going to cover that area with some other kind of white fluffy yarn, so I figure it will hide it, but now I'm wondering if I'm going to have to always look ahead in the skein to find out if there is a knot somewhere...
Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-16-2006, 11:49 PM   #2
Mad About Wool
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mad About Wool
Yes, it is not uncommon to find knots in Kureyon, and it is only loosely spun (and not plied), so it breaks easily also. What you are finding is, unfortunately, normal for this yarn. But oh, what colors!

Knitter's Geek Code
KER+++$ Exp+ SPM++ Rosewood LM++ EbonySusannes++@ !Addi--
Yarn Natural Fibers+++ !Acrylic Stash+Scale+ Fin- Ent+ Flat+ Circ + DPN + ML + KIP+
Blog+ FO+++ WIP+++ Gauge F+++ Alt SP++++++++++
Mad About Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
Cristy
Instepping Out

I've found knots in my Noro too. I also had a piece break when I tugged on it...fortunately it was just as I was finishing so it wasn't a big deal...I just love Noro's colors. I just finished my first booga in 149.

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote