View Poll Results: Continental knitters - Which hand does what?
I use my right needle to "pick" the yarn off my left index (or other) finger 15 53.57%
I use my left hand to wrap the yarn around the right needle, which I hold upward 4 14.29%
I use my left hand for purling but my right for knitting 2 7.14%
I do my own quirky combination (explain) 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Continental Knitters - which hand does what?
So I was interested to read in the recent poll (continental vs. English) that there are a few other continental knitters out there who, like me, use their left thumb to pull the thumb through while purling. It has now finally dawned on me that this isn't just with purling. I actually use my left hand way more than what I think is supposed to happen with typical Continental knitting. I know that Continental knitters are called "pickers" but I don't really pick the yarn with the needle in my right hand; I wrap it with the thumb and first two fingers of my left hand when knitting, and sort of pull through with my left thumb when purling. Basically, my left hand does all the work (with knitting and purling) while my right hand just moves the needle into the stitch and pulls it off. Does that make me a left-handed "thrower"? I don't know. (I'm right-handed, btw).

I never knew till watching Amy's videos that normal continental style involves more movement of the right needle. I'm self-taught from a book, and it's hard to tell from non-moving pictures what all is going on.

Anyway, now I'm curious. What do the rest of you do? And why? And I'm also wondering if it would be worth it to retrain myself to use my right hand more - would that make things more efficient?

Share your experiences and thoughts. :D

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-31-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
Amber
Working the Gusset

Great question; I'm curious about this too!

When I'm knitting, I "pick" the yarn with my right hand, but when I purl, I use my middle finger and thumb on my left hand to push the yarn down and around the needle.

Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Julie
Instepping Out

My right hand does all the work.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
Darhain
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Amber
Great question; I'm curious about this too!

When I'm knitting, I "pick" the yarn with my right hand, but when I purl, I use my middle finger and thumb on my left hand to push the yarn down and around the needle.
Yep, that's how I knit, too.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:44 PM   #5
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
hmm.. I'm doing the movements without knitting in front of me LOL :thinking: when knitting I have the yarn going through myleft pinky then around my left index finger.. I use my right hand to enter the needle into the stitch but my left index finger does a wrap movement... when I purl I enter the needle with my right hand but help the yarn over the needle with my left thumb... :D

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
Mer
Working the Gusset

My left hand does all the work while purling (I actually grab the yarn between my thumb and middle finger) but right hand does the work while knitting!

"I will remember that no one has ever been killed or maimed by being adventurous with knitting, no matter how pointy the needles." The Yarn Harlot
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
knittingachiever
Knitting the Flap

I'm yet another variation on the "standard" continental knitter. I'm also self-taught, earthchick, and I started out doing all the work with my left hand. I'd wedge the left needle between my crossed legs (or use circular needles) and do a full throw with my left hand on both knits and purls. I've finally developed a hybrid method in which I "pick" on the knits, and do a a throw on the purls holding the yarn with my left thumb and index finger while bracing my crossed needles with my right hand.

Guess that's what I get for trying to figure it out on my own, but it works!
knittingachiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:16 PM   #8
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
I mostly use my left index finger to wrap the yarn around the right needle. When purling I hold the yarn below the needles, and wrap the right needle using my left index finger from there. I might move my right needle some, but not much.

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
TwoLeftNeedles
1st Leg of the Journey

For non-lace patterns, I knit/purl combination style and my left index finger is draped over the left needle, the right hand maneuvers the needle into the stitch, and the left wrist rocks back and forth (from palm down to palm facing chest) to make the right tip scoop the yarn.

I can't handle the large quantity of decreases usually called for in lace this way, though. For that I switch to regular continental and turn my hands palm almost out so that I stick my left index finger out and up for the purls. The same rocking motion (out to down instead of down to in) plus a slight waggle of the left index finger gets the yarn around the needle.

I've rewritten that four times. Does it make ANY sense?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:34 PM   #10
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

Wow, great question!

I pick the yarn while knitting, using the tip of the right needle to do all the work; while purling I use my left index to pull the yarn down behind the tip of the righthand needle (but in front of the lefthand needle of course) and then pick the yarn with the right needle again to pull it back through and off the left needle.

I taught myself from the book "Knitting in Plain English" by Mary Rigetti (not sure about her last name). Watching Amy's videos on how to do various things, I think I knit/purl using the same movements she does.

I think it would make things more efficient in the long run, so it would be worth it to give it a shot. If you find it's too miserable you can always go back to your t-n-t method! I like that I don't have to work so hard to get a stitch, lol. Then again a lot of english style knitters knit a whole lot speedier than me