Old 01-26-2006, 12:33 AM   #21
Cristy
Instepping Out

Man I dunno--I'm struggling w/ dh's scarf. It's for valentine's day--hands down, it's the most polished thing I've completed to date but it's just going slowly--I haven't had my usual amount of knitting time lately. I went to the site (olympic site) and looked it over and I would like to do it--I want to do the toshiko tote so badly--I started it and hated the yarn (berroco medley--$9 a skein and I bought 6!!). I don't know if it'll be better as I work with it--it's kind of klumpy and so the tension is all off b/c it doesn't tighten/slide well--it's gets hung on the clumps of wool. I love the bag--and the yarn and it's an easy project--that's all I really want to do but I was so frustrated with the yarn after only a row or two...I don't know what else I'd do if I didn't do that--everything else I want to do requires knowledge of something I don't know how to do yet. I could possibly pull off another project but not something that requires a lot of new learning--there's just too much going on w/ the purchase of the new house and all.

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-26-2006, 10:34 AM   #22
Angelia

Oh, I forgot about the new house! That is a lot going on in and of itself without trying to do a knitting marathon!

The scarf sounds lovely--I can't wait to see its polished loveliness!

Re the Berroco: is it roving? The Foliage I used was dyed roving and it was thick and thin, so it took some getting used to while working it; that raw wool is sticky. It does get easier as you go, and you do learn how to live with the stickiness. (I don't know if that's helpful or not!) If you really hate it, can you return it and get something else?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:26 AM   #23
knitncook
Working the Gusset

OK, I'm in. I'm committed to Team Sock USA and am going to do the Pink Ribbon socks from the Knitting Pattern a day calendar. I have the yarn. Now to wait. ARG!! A pair of socks in 16 days. I think I can do it if I dont' get side tracked by something else and ONLY knit they socks. I think I am more committed to the socks than team USA. Can't I just be "Team Sock" :D

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:44 AM   #24
Cristy
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Angelia
Re the Berroco: is it roving?
Don't know if I know what roving is...LOL--sorry. It's thin yarn and then it has clumps of different color yarn every couple of inches (on purpose). It's beautiful but a pain to knit!

Old 01-26-2006, 12:55 PM   #25
Angelia

I just looked up Medley and I can see why it would be a problem to knit with; that texturing is kind of weird! It is lovely, though; I can see why you were drawn to it! You won't be able to knit it tightly, that's for sure, and I'm not so sure it will felt since it has so much acrylic & nylon. Did you do a test swatch for felting?
Old 01-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #26
butterflymama
Knitting the Flap

Okay so I wanna be the in the Olympics too! I am ultra new but I thought a challenge would be a pair of socks using Silvers tutorial. Think that is a reasonable thing to do? A pair in 16 days for a newbie who is terrified of dpns? Should I scale back to a goal of one? One seems lame so thats why I am thinking 2. Whatcha think?
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:17 PM   #27
Cristy
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Angelia
I just looked up Medley and I can see why it would be a problem to knit with; that texturing is kind of weird! It is lovely, though; I can see why you were drawn to it! You won't be able to knit it tightly, that's for sure, and I'm not so sure it will felt since it has so much acrylic & nylon. Did you do a test swatch for felting?
Gosh--we've kind of hijacked this thread w/ my issues, haven't we?!
just the parts that have wool end up felting supposedly--i got the pattern from Berroco's newsletter. They give an upclose swatch of what it looks like after felting and it gets a cool bumpy effect.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #28
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by butterflymama
Should I scale back to a goal of one? One seems lame so thats why I am thinking 2. Whatcha think?
Well if just completing one sock is going to be a challenge for you, I say keep it to just one. You want to be challenged, but realistically so. I'm making my booger for my event. I'm challenging myself with several new techniques {for me} in the project, as well as getting it all knit, felted and blocked in the 16 day timetable. It *is* going to be a lot of work for me, but it simply means that I have to give up the video games and any other WIPs for that time... I hope...

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:39 AM   #29
butterflymama
Knitting the Flap

Yeah, one is going to be a huge challenge for me. I think 2 would just be setting myself up to fail. So one it is...pathetic sounding and all!

I can't wait to start!

Now where to get a team sock button? :rofling:
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:33 AM   #30
knitncook
Working the Gusset

What if your challenge was to knit one and to cast on the second during the closing ceremonies so that you don't end up with your first OSS (One Sock Syndrome)?

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote