Old 01-20-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
sunnyreflections
1st Leg of the Journey

Shaping neck for sweater
I am making the To Dye For sweater in the Stitch 'N Bitch Handbook.

I have already finished the back piece and am working on the front piece. I am confused on how to do this (directions are in bold, and my questions are not):

When piece measures 22" from beg (42 sts are on my needle), beg shaping. Work 17 sts, attach another skein of yarn (how do you attach another skein exactly and where??), BO center 8 sts loosely, complete row. Working both sides at once, (how do you do this? Do I need two sets of needles??) dec 1 st at each neck edge, every other row 4 times--13 sts each side. WOrk even until piece measures 25" BO all sts.

I have never worked two sides at the same time with BO sts in the middle and with two skeins attached. Can someone please explain it to me like I was 10? :lol

Thanks!
-Alison
sunnyreflections is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
You continue to work on the set of needles you're using. You'll work across the first 17 stitches. Drop that strand and start binding off the middle stitches with a new strand. You can just start knitting with it since the binding off will really secure it. Any end can be woven in later.

Now you'll have the two separate shoulders on your needles with a gap between them. Each will have it's own strand. You'll work one, then the other, on each row. The neck decreases will occur on the inside edge of each section.

Once they're on the needles, it will become clear how to do them.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
sunnyreflections
1st Leg of the Journey

So, I am not ever taking one shoulder off the needles to work the other, right? Because they each have their own stand, I will be working them at the same time (one then the other) on the needles right? I am sure you are correct, it will make total sense when I get there. Thanks so much, Ingrid! The sweater is a Mother's Day present for my MIL (getting a jump on things) :D
sunnyreflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
You've got it. Nothing comes off the needles. And congrats on getting a gift started early. I'd be starting it on May 1. :rollseyes:

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote