Old 01-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
chloe2804
Casting On

converting a straight needle pattern to circular knitting
The sweater pattern is written for straight needles. I would like to knit it as a tube. What do I have to do? Its a sweater for my best friend's birthday so she picked the pattern and yarn (so I know that she will like it.) Do I just :

1) mark the beginning.
2) omit the 4 selvedge stitiches?
3) when I get to armhole shaping do I go on to straights or can I keep them on circulars and use 2 balls of yarn (1 for front and back?)

Is this correct? or there other secrets that I need to know?

I don't think I could possbily convert it to a "knit from the top" sweater. I am a novice knitter and a math idiot. Hopefully someday in the future.

Carol
chloe2804 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-21-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Sounds like you've got the right idea. Eliminate the selvedge stitches and knit in the round up to the armholes. At this point you can divide front and back and knit them straight--on circs if you want--one for the front and one for the back. At this point you'd have to work back and forth.

Or if you're feeling daring, you can do steeks--you add extra stitches for the armholes and then sew and cut them when they're the right height. But since you say you're a novice knitter you might want to save steeks for later.

If you want to do them, here is a thread where I showed a sweater using steeks.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
chloe2804
Casting On

thanks, I would like to try steeks but I try to learn to work one new thing at a time. Otherwise I just get confused and mess up and end up frogging so much I get frustrated and hate to work on the project. so I am first going to conquer knitting in the round then on to another new thing.

I have read about steeks and it makes so much sense as does knitting from the top down. Future goals in knitting.

Thanks again. I always appreciate your help. And it is always posted very soon after I ask my question. I imagine you knitting at your computer 24/7.

Carol
Old 01-21-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

No, I knit on the couch and take breaks at the computer. My house is a mess. :rofling:

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 01-23-2006, 11:24 PM   #5
chloe2804
Casting On

I am doing pretty well with the sweater. Have about 4 inches on the needles. Now I am beginning to wonder about the how to do the armholes.

The pattern calls for 2 selvedge stitches on each side which I am not using because I am knitting the body as a tube. So if the armhole says decrease 5 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows do I decrease for 3 or 5? will I have to continue making adjustments at any other place in the armhole?

And will I have to make adjustments when knitting the sleeves?

And do I sew the sleeves on as tubes or flat?

I am so thankful for this site. We don't have any 24 hour yarn stores here in Orlando so at 10:20 PM I would not have anyplace to go for help without this site.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:37 PM   #6
Lana
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ingrid
No, I knit on the couch and take breaks at the computer. My house is a mess. :rofling:

Ditto on all of the above, 'cept I have "my chair".
Old 01-23-2006, 11:43 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

:D

I think I'd go with the 3 stitches for the armholes. At this point, follow the pattern as if you were knitting flat. You eliminated the selvedge on the body since there will be no seam to take them up. You will sew the sleeves on, so you'll need those stiches.

Sleeves are up to you. You'll need at the narrowest points to use dpns for them. If you decide to do the sleeves in the round, you should eliminate two stitches from the total count.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 01-23-2006, 11:51 PM   #8
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Is there a way to do the sweater part in the round, dividing for front and back once getting to the armholes, and then pick up stitches for the sleeves and work them from the top down and do the sleeves in the round as well, rather than knitting them flat from the cuff up?? I just can't picture how this would be possible if the sleeves had sleeve caps.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:10 AM   #9
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Actually, I've done that a few times. You can pick up the stitches at the armhole and knit them down from the body, but as Knitqueen says, you get basically a drop sleeve. If the sleeve is set in or the armhole is angled, I don't know enough to say how to do it so it would look good.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 01-24-2006, 11:14 PM   #10
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Say you knit the body in the round, up to the armhole shaping then divide for front and back, also knit the sleeves in the round rather than flat, up until the sleeve shaping when you start knitting flat again for the sleeve cap yada yada yada......how difficult is it to sew a sleeve in that way??? I know usually when patterns are all knit flat and in seperate pieces, you always sew the sleeve cap in first, then seam the side of the sweater and length of the sleeve after.