Old 01-23-2006, 05:59 PM   #11
Julie
Instepping Out

You wouldn't need to buy anything extra to do the two-circ method, because the two circs don't need to be the same length. You can do it with two different needle sizes (like knitqueen pointed out) or you could buy an extra set of tips in the size you need. (like at Hobby Lobby)

IMO magic loop might be frustrating because the boye cables aren't the most flexible.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #12
chicagoknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

So using the two different size needles will not throw off the gauge? I end up using one set and one set smaller...do I need to have one needle of each set on opposite ends, or do you make each cable with the same size needles on them??
chicagoknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #13
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

You have to have, for example, a size 5 tip on one end and a size 4 tip on the other end of the SAME cable. In this example, you need to make sure that you are always knitting ONTO the larger needle, that is the size 5. Same for the second circular. As long as you are always knitting ONTO the correct sized needle for the pattern, your gauge will not be thrown off. And another bonus for doing it this way if you are a tight knitter, is that since you are knitting OFF of a smaller needle, the stitches will be looser and easier to get the needle into.

Does this help?
Old 01-24-2006, 11:31 AM   #14
chicagoknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

This absoultely helps. Thank you all so much. I think I will work the body first and just use the slightly smaller cable and smoosh them on. Then when I get to the arms and start using this fancy dancy method...I may have questions, but it looked fairly easy in Amy's video...but then again it all looks easy when she does it.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #15
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

If you are knitting the body of a sweater in the round, and the pattern calls for 32" circs, I think you could easily sub the 29" length without any problems. The stitches will be a little more squished on to the needles than if you had the 32", but not enough that you would need to use 2 circs or what have you... just my 2 {CAN of course}

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:57 AM   #16
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I could be wrong, but I think the suggestion for the 2 circ method was for the sleeves????

Anyways, yes, you can definitely use a circ a bit shorter than the one suggested, you will just have squished stitches which is a lot better than having a circ that is too small.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #17
chicagoknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

Yes the two circ method was for the sleeves. I was just verifying one last time what I was going to do in case I had something mixed up. But thank you all for your suggestions and help. I posted another question about this pattern about knitting the gauge swatch for a piece knit in the round. I promise this will be my last question on this pattern (at least for a little while hee hee) let me know if you guys have any more insight about the gauge issue. I did not know if I was supposed to post it here under this different topic so I posted a whole new question...hope that was the right thing to do.