View Poll Results: Do you use straight or circular needles for straight knitting?
Straight 5 8.47%
Circular 27 45.76%
I use either method depending on the situation. 26 44.07%
I never heard/thought of doing it that way. 1 1.69%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

Straight knitting on circular needles?
I visited a new yarn store last night. I was looking to buy a new pair of #4's The lady there suggested I try the Addi Turbo needles. She said she does all her straight knitting on circular needles. I had never thought of doing that, but her arguments seemed sound. I played with them for a few hours last night and am still undecided. It seems like both methods have their advantages and disadvantages.

Does anyone else knit this way? If so, why do you prefer it? If not, why do you dislike this method?
MrTea is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-24-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
I noticed that circulars are easier to transport, plus btw, they are the only needles allowed on airplanes. But, I used to only use straight until someone suggested circulars. At first it was a pain to get the hang of it, but looking back I like it better.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
BonnieM
1st Leg of the Journey

I use both circs and straights, depending on the project. The circs are great when you're knitting something large with tons of stitches. They help to distribute the weight of the project as it grows, and they hold more stitches. I use straights for smaller items, like a scarf. However, Santa brought me a new knitting chair for Christmas, and my straights tend to hit the arms, so I'll probably switch over to all circs at some point. Give 'em a whirl and see what you like best.
BonnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Julie
Instepping Out

I use circs for everything -- the only straights I ever use are DPNs, for swatches or i-cord. :D
Old 01-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
i have never even owned a set of straight needles. my teacher got me on circs right away so i have never seen the need to go with anything else.

except for DPNs of course.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #6
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
I use both. I mostly have straights though, but hopefully I will get my Boye Needlemaster set and never have to worry about straights again
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
Mer
Working the Gusset

I try to use circs as much as possible. I'm so used to circs that I often drop the left needle when I'm done with it--if I use straights I end up dropping it on the floor b/c I forget they're not attached and have to find it under the couch.

"I will remember that no one has ever been killed or maimed by being adventurous with knitting, no matter how pointy the needles." The Yarn Harlot
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

I can't remember the last time I used straights. I gave most of my straights to my daughters when I started using my Needlemaster, but even before I had that I used circs for everything. I think the main reason was because I do a lot of knitting in a wooden rocker that has arms, and the straights would bang on the arms of the chair and drive me crazy.

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
Most of my knitting is done on circular needles. I only have 4 sets of straight single points and they rarely ever get used. I'll use DPN's, but not if I can help it.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:52 PM   #10
MaryS
Turning the Heel

I still have all my straights, but these days I knit mostly with my circs.

I'm in LUV with my Denises (yes I you too, foldedbird!), and use those whenever I can. Right now I'm using one pair of my straights for a sweater with the ribbing on Size 3. The body is on size 5, so I'll be able to switch to Denises when the ribbing is done. I WISH the Denises went smaller than 5.

I still use my dpns especially for size 0 to size 5 for socks, but for anything larger than that I'll use two circs from my Denises.

Happy Knitting :XX: :XX: (circ, straight or dpn!)

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote