Old 01-24-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

Crochet hook to cast-off?
I hope that someone can help my fried brain! I've been making a kerchief scarf off of the wrapper for the ball of Bernat Eye Lash I bought. Well I didn't pay enough attention to how much yarn I had left and now I don't have enough here to cast off normally. There is only about 12 inches of this yarn left and I really do NOT want to frog back a row to get enough. What's stupid is that according to the pattern, I should have still had enough to knit one more row {of 90 stitches} and THEN cast off.

Anyway, if I slip all my stitches on to the other needle {I'm not using a circ}, can I cast off my stitches by using a crochet hook? I know I can, but I guess I'm worried that the cast off won't be stretchy at all, and with it being a scarf, I need it to be.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

It will be very tight if you bind off as is. Un-knit a row stitch by stitch onto the needle as in the video in basic techniques/more page, shouldn't take too long for a scarf. Then you can do a standard BO.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

EEEK!!! That's what I was afraid of. It's just that this stuff is definitely *not* fun to frog. Since the bound off edge is the one that I need to stretch the most, I guess I have no choice.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote