Old 01-28-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
OT - White tea
Does anyone here drink white tea? I had some on vacation and it was sooo good! I've done some research and apparently it's at least as good for you as green tea, but I liked the flavor better. There are several different kinds though so I thought I'd see if anyone knows anything about it or what kind you might drink. Thanks!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-28-2006, 02:42 AM   #2
glomper
Ribbing the Cuff

That reminds me I have some white tea and should start drinking it again. I found it to be similar to green tea but a little milder. The brand I found was Planet Organic which is from Australia so I don't know if you get it where you are. I've been drinking more coffee and black tea lately but think it's time to go back to the fruit, herbal and white and green teas for a change. It is Summer here and very humid so I should probably ease up on the caffine for a bit.
Regards.
glomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:43 AM   #3
ecuzzacrea
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to ecuzzacrea
i've never tried it, but i all kinds of tea!

i'm going to check it out.
ecuzzacrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:53 AM   #4
kittiminx
Ribbing the Cuff

I have had a white tea (japanese) which is sooo smooth and yummy, but it's hidiously expensive, i've seen it over $30 aud for only 100g - yes, that's $300 a kilo! It is supposed to be really heathy, full of anti-oxidants etc, but unless you really don't like green tea, there's not much difference really (i'm sure purists would argue that but...) defineitly milder in taste IMHO. BUT, if you get really good quality green tea that's picked really young etc it tastes really good so that's what i like - i actually drink a kind called budda's tears and its a jasmine green tea, hand rolled into these little balls which unfurl in the cup. really lovely tea.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	tea1.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	24609  Click image for larger version

Name:	tea2.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	24610  
Old 01-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
Cristy
Instepping Out

I don't have a lot of useful information about the tea to provide--but I do drink it and you are correct that it has tons of health benefits.. It is also sort of the cadillac of teas--very very smooth.

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I've never, ever heard of this. Definitely will have to check it out. We have a store that carries all sorts of hard-to-find things, they might have it. :thinking:

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #7
JENinIA
Ribbing the Cuff

I drink lots of tea and have always been a tea lover! Celestial Seasonings has several white teas- I bought them at both Super Walmart and Super Target. I usually brew a big pitcher and add a bag of the white tea in with my green tea. I bought one of the peach favored white teas and when I tried it as a hot tea- I thought it tasted a little like...dirt . So for now, I will just keep adding it to my green tea for the added health benefits- if there are really any- until I find a white tea that tastes a little better. I haven't tried the reg white tea by itself though, I guess I should!

Jen
JENinIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
Arugula
1st Leg of the Journey

I never liked Celestial Seasonings, but that is just my opinion. We drink Numi teas around here and they have an orange spice white tea that is delicious. I really like green tea, but it does greatly depend on the brand/quality-I've tasted TERRIBLE green tea. Unfortunately I can't handle the caffeine in green tea so I am stuck with other things. Right now I am drinking Morrocan Mint with some honey in it. Mmmmmm. I also drink a lot of the medicinal teas, I'm kind of bummed I'm not pregnant since the pregnancy tea is my all time favorite! I guess I could drink it anyway but somehow it just feels wrong, yk? Oh and Good Earth has a great tea that is spicy, has a great cinnamon smell.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:54 AM   #9
Angelia

White tea is really good--very smooth. I do drink it plain occasionally for health reasons, but unfortunately, I prefer to drink my tea with cream and sugar, which means that I kind of miss out on subtle teas like white because the cream and sugar overpower them. :rollseyes: Making them stronger (i.e., two bags instead of one) helps.

My all-time favorite tea is Earl Gray--the touch of bergamot is just yummy!
Old 01-28-2006, 11:13 AM   #10
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

Ang, you drink "baby tea"! That's what my MIL calls it - my DH drinks his that way too. I prefer my tea "black" - add a little honey when my throat's dry and scratchy. Earl Gray is my favorite too!! It's makes an excellent iced tea as well.

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote