Old 01-31-2006, 03:45 PM   #21
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Pretty!

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-31-2006, 08:13 PM   #22
kittiminx
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by margie
So beautiful!! You were brave to do that sock for your first one! It turned out great.
Brave or just plain foolhardy? :rofling: i can't tell!

and yes, that was my kitty 'inspecting', he loves my knitting! lots and lots of string! and pointy sticks that 'need' to be killed... :rollseyes: It gets kinda hard to knit with a kitty hanging on the end of your needle...
Old 01-31-2006, 08:54 PM   #23
Angelia

I feel your pain! Once, as I was working on a sock, one of my cats, who I thought was peacefully sleeping next to me, suddenly lept up, bit the dpn, and pulled it right out!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:22 PM   #24
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Pixywhispers
Wow! Lace in the round as a first lace.

Candace

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Pixywhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:56 PM   #25
kittiminx
Ribbing the Cuff

it wasn't as hard as i thought, i mean the pattern is a really simple one, i've never seen other lace patterns but they look much more complicated than the one i used which is just a repeating series of 8 stitches over 4 rows, and two of the rows are just knit!
example round 1 is just; *P1, sl 1, k1, psso, yf, k3, yf, k2tog. rep from * to end. and round 3 is *P1, k2, yf, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yf, k2; rep from * to end.
easy peasy! (and goes much quicker once memorised, at first i had to keep looking at the pattern and checking what came next, and i kept forgetting the yf and ending up with less stitches! (as in the gazillion mistakes lol) and also remembering which pattern row i'd done last, which got easier when i figured out what it looked like on the needle.
I figured out also that it's a good idea to count the stitches on the needle before starting the next round, cause i could frog back 1 row ok, it was only when i didn't realise until the next pattern round i was in trouble.
I think it was easier to learn lace in such a small item, i can imagine getting completely lost on a shawl or anything over 100 stitches!
Old 02-01-2006, 12:27 AM   #26
Mer
Working the Gusset

Great job! I'm working on my first pair of socks and wish I would have picked a lacy pattern or something more interesting. :rollseyes:

"I will remember that no one has ever been killed or maimed by being adventurous with knitting, no matter how pointy the needles." The Yarn Harlot
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:10 AM   #27
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Pixywhispers
Kitti,

Did you buy this pattern? I drifted off to sleep thinking about your pretty sock last night. You did a really good job.

And Ive been trying to decide whether to frog my bonnet, but I think Im gona just rip one row at a time and count it, like you did on the sock. But probably saving that for the olympics so Ill finish the darn thing.

Candace

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Pixywhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #28
Celine
Turning the Heel

Just beautiful
Your sock came out just beautiful!! Congratulations. I'm working on my very first pair too. I do enjoy it. :XX:
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #29
kittiminx
Ribbing the Cuff

Candace, i did buy the pattern so i guess that means i can't give you a copy?
and it's an australian yarn company so i'm not sure you'll be able to find it os either. However, (and somebody please let me know if i shouldn't post this please!) I think you could make your own socks up without the pattern, using the basic lace repeat instead of st st and just following a free pattern for the heel and toe, making sure that your stitches are a mulitiple of 8. The sock i made had 6 repeats of the lace and i think that's probably going to fit most people cause i have pretty big feet! (it only just fits me and i have size 41 feet euro)
I'm actually going to knit another pair cause i made so many mistakes in my first and i'm going to change the pattern to use the short row heel cause i want to learn that method.
If you want to try and find the pattern, title is 4 ply Socks, it says on the cover 4 ply argyle, Heirloom, 179. I think the number identifies the pattern?
Hope this helps anyway!
Old 02-01-2006, 10:00 PM   #30
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
very pretty you did a great job

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote