Old 01-31-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
candicane
Working the Gusset

Finding a spinner
I have a bag of Alpaca rovings that I need to have spun. Are there any questions I should be asking of a potential spinner? What kind of questions will they ask me? How is spinning usually priced? I have never had this done and the rovings were a gift from a friend with alpacas. Just want to have a little information before I start calling around.

Thanks,
Candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-31-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
Mad About Wool
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mad About Wool
I would say this, but it is just an opinion. You mostly want to know if they will be able to spin it and have it retain its softness. I find 100% alpaca a little tricky to work with, myself, for that reason. If I spin it soft enough, it drifts apart. The spinner may ask if you want it carded with some sort of wool (100% alpaca is VERY warm and also has no memory - so that when it is stretched, it will remain that way - no elasticity, is what I am trying to say). Blending with wool would make it less hot and also give it the elasticitiy it needs if you are planning to knit a garment with it.

As for pricing, it is fairly individual, but a good rule of thumb is 10 cents per yard if is is spun as a single or 15 cents per yard if it is a 2-ply yarn. (So roughly $15.00 per 100 yd. 2-ply skein). You most likely would want to go with a 2-ply yarn.

I hope this helps!

Knitter's Geek Code
KER+++$ Exp+ SPM++ Rosewood LM++ EbonySusannes++@ !Addi--
Yarn Natural Fibers+++ !Acrylic Stash+Scale+ Fin- Ent+ Flat+ Circ + DPN + ML + KIP+
Blog+ FO+++ WIP+++ Gauge F+++ Alt SP++++++++++
Mad About Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Sounds like a good opportunity for you to learn to spin it yourself!!! Blending it with wool would be a good idea, and you'd probably want to do your first, learning skein, with a long-fibered 100% wool, like romney.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote