Old 02-04-2006, 07:17 AM   #1
artistic_alexis
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to artistic_alexis
Square Slippers
Well, I've started these nice square slippers http://www.frugalhaus.com/homepage/freepat2.htm as an easy first project. I was working on a knitting bag, but was getting bored with it. Has anyone else ever made these and do they actually feel nice? I really needed a pair of slippers, because mine suck and I dislike wearing socks all the time. SO, I thought I'd make myself some with my new found knitting talent, or make Montana warmer, (I think knitting them would happen a lot sooner! I'm also going to try GASP my first hat after this. It's off of a santa type hat pattern, because I thought the slippers look like elf shoes, so why not have an elf hat too?

Alexis

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-04-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
I made a pair of them, but I crocheted instead of knitted the squares. They do feel nice on the feet.

You probably won't get bored either, because these take a lot of time to seem :(
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
nonny2t
Instepping Out

I didn't make those, but I made another really easy pair called pocketbook slippers because you can fold them up and put them in your pocketbook (pattern must be old because I haven't heard anyone use pocketbook since my grandma was still living) They are super for wearing around the house, in a hotel room, etc. I love mine and will probably make some more.

http://www.geocities.com/knitwits_he...kslippers.html
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

Those slippers were one of my first projects!!!
They are super easy to make, and though they look kind of funny while you're knitting, they're so cute when they're on. I made some for my aunt because she travels a lot, she said she loves them.

Sorry to thread jack but there is hardly any seaming on those, they're so simple...

My Patterns - so far
Last Minute Scarf,Sideways Rib Reversible Scarf, Trinity's Top, Hunter's Itty Bitty Baby Socks
punkhippiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:36 AM   #5
Friskums

I saw your post about the pocketbook slippers and I just finished my pair today.
They are really cute! (Pics will come later.)

My only complaint is that they have pointy spots. Maybe it was the way I seamed, but when you fold them in half, then seam them up, the very bottom (where the fold starts) points out. It makes my toes look funny and pointy.

Any suggestions as to how to fix the pointyness? If I have to re-seam I would. I don't really want to, but I would.

Thanks. ^_^
Old 02-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

When I did mine, I did a practice one first (which was good, cuz I screwed them up, of course :rofling: ) and noticed the points... If you really don't want them, what I did was: fold the slipper in half, and mark the center (where the pointy bit would be, at the bottom of the seamed edge). Seam about halfway down, then bring up the bottom center, and sew across widthwise. It will make your seam look like an upside-down T, sort of...
You could do this for the front and the back, but since the point is only really noticeable on the front, I only did it for the front. Also, working in a textured yarn helps to hide the pointy spots really well. The second pair I made, I seamed straight down, but I used a really fuzzy boucle yarn, and the points weren't visible... you could still kind of feel the spot (my big toe wanted to gravitate there :rollseyes: ) but it wasn't noticeable at all.

My Patterns - so far
Last Minute Scarf,Sideways Rib Reversible Scarf, Trinity's Top, Hunter's Itty Bitty Baby Socks
punkhippiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
Friskums

Ok.
Thanks for the idea.

I'm probably going to make another pair. They are very comfy. I want to get a sole I can attach to the bottom so I can wear them out in public without fear of the bottoms getting worn out.

I wore them to bed last night. Normally I can't sleep with something on my feet (socks) so I was really surprised and pleased that I could sleep in them.

I get so cold during the night, so something to wear on my feet helps keep me a little warmer. ^_^

...Even when my bf steals all the blankets again and again. :rollseyes:
Old 02-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #8
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
Oooooo those would be perfect for a project I'm working on!!!

I'm secretly making a pair of slippers for my mom for valentines day, and those would be PERFECT!!!! Maybe embelish them a little bit and vwala!!! :D

These sock and slipper patterns are good to do. I just finished the whisper soft slipper and it only took me an hour to make it!!! I'll post a picture later.
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote