Old 02-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Hazelgil

socks for DBF
I started some socks as a v.day pressie for my DBF the other nite,
The pattern i am using is http://www.knitlist.com/01gift/matts-fixation-socks.htm

This is an pattern i found through the socknitters site,
I've cast on the required number of sts {48} in a fingering weight yarn that i bought off ebay, i've just started the leg pattern and am wondering if they will be big enuough.

The yarn used in the pattern says 2 balls of fixation / obsession. I'm guessing this is an american made yarn. Could someone please tell me if i'm using the correct weight? On the socknitters site it says fingering, which i have used, but i have a feeling this isn't right.

Can anyone help??

Hazel x

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
Arlene
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to Arlene
Hi Hazel,

All depends on what size his foot is. I am using Bernat Sox fingering yarn and size 3 dpn's. My pattern is with a 56 stitch cast on. The sox have a 16 row ribbing and then are straight stockinette stitch for the rest of the sock.

I am making my second pair with this particular pattern as they fit my foot great. My shoe size is 8 1/2.

My foot is average in width with a narrow heel.

Guess I have not been much help to you, sorry.

Take care,
Arlene
Arlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
Hazelgil

Hi Arlene,

He takes either a u.k mens size 6/7. Ended up ripping out what i'd already done and starting again with more stitches.
Did a search for the yarn on ebay and it's a streachy one, which mine isn't, so thought to be safe i'd start again.

Thanks
Hazel x :D
Old 02-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
Arlene
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to Arlene
Hi again,

I did not know there was a difference between UK and USA shoe sizes so I measured my foot by standing on a ruler. All totaled my foot is 10 inches long. That is from where my heel starts to the end of my big toe.

The yarn I use is not stretchy though. At least not very stretchy.

The pattern I used is called something like 56 stitches 56 rows or the other way around and is free on the internet. It is a simple pattern that a man or woman could wear and it fits my foot great but I did go longer in the foot than the 56 rows. I would suggest having him try the sock on before you get to the toe decreases to make sure the sock will be long enough for him.

Take care,
Arlene
Arlene is offline   Reply With Quote