Old 07-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #281
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Oh, Cecile, you must have a small WIP, too, when you're working on something as big as Einstein!!! (I'm embarrassed to think about how many things I currently have on the needles )

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #282
Angelia

Are there things NOT on your list DM? I ask because that is some list!!!

Someday I will finish this coat. I only have the sleeves and the collar to go.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #283
Andrea
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via MSN to Andrea
When it starts getting cooler out, I'll look at poor Einstein again :(

No chorus?
Houyhnhnms!
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #284
silveridger
1st Leg of the Journey

I think I finished mine the week we hit the 80's... it hasn't been worn once yet (although I had fun trying it on) and is tucked away in the closet with lavender and cedar sachets until fall. I am SO looking forward to wearing it out this year!

I don't remember what size I made, either. Next time I'm rummaging in the knitting drawer of the filing cabinet I'll check my notes, Cecile.
Saturday Market Bags (2 at once!), Magknits
silveridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #285
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Originally Posted by Angelia
Are there things NOT on your list DM? I ask because that is some list!!!
Well, these little knitty voices in my head keep suggesting more projects. I was rather frustrated and embarrassed that I found myself daydreaming about a knitting pattern I want to design in church this morning.

I almost have it all worked out, too. I'd better go get in the confessional line behind Bink.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #286
cecile
Casting On

Wips with Einstein
Einstein is the LARGEST project on the needles at the moment, but its sharing my knitting moments with:

1) A green, 4-cable sock which only needs me to graft the toe... and then start its mate. Blackberry ridge pattern & wool. love it.

2) a blue and blue/green fairisle sock. I am to the heel. Again, Blackberry Ridge.

3) A bell-pattern shawl. This is the 6th, or so. This one on an incredible lacy silk/mohair from Fiberarts in San Fran.

4) My first intarsia project, a to-be-felted bag. It's insane. I currently have 7 balls of yarn dripping off the ws.

5) A sweater for DH, simple top-down raglan in a blue/gray ragg wool. All done but for the sleeves.

6) A scarf for me (the multi-directional scarf in Kureyon).

7) A very large lap blanket in Mar La for DH.

And, I have two sweaters for my baby that I've finished knitting, but both need to be finished.

And today... I am finishing putting binding on a quilt I did YEARS ago.

Maybe I should quit my job???

Cecile
Who values the merits of multiple WIPS.
cecile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #287
silveridger
1st Leg of the Journey

LOL Cecile, how can you stand it?

I am just too manipulative & controlling, I rarely have more than two things actually going at the same time. Too many loose ends make me flustered.

I do, however, have a head full of projects I want to make, and the stash to go with it. I see something I must have, buy the pattern and the yarn, and stash it in the closet. If I never bought another knitting thing again I could probably knit for a couple of years without running out.
Saturday Market Bags (2 at once!), Magknits
silveridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #288
cecile
Casting On

WIPS
I'm making Einstein in an effort to use up a lot of yarn on one project. My stash is overwhelming... I just had a baby, and my most recent excuse for buying new yarn is, "I need different yarn for baby projects."

Sort of true, I know, but I've also bought about 4 projects worth of NORO yarns... Like I'm going to knit something for the baby in Korchoran? Hmmm.

Well, another day and I DID manage to ALMOST finish another ball of Lopi for my Einstein. If my husband weren't going out of town for a week, I might actually get some knitting done... Oh well.

And it is 90 degrees in Washington DC, with a chance of T-storms daily.

I just HATE knitting cotton. Wool is so much nicer.

Cecile
Old 07-10-2006, 05:21 AM   #289
Andrea
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via MSN to Andrea
Your Lopi is cotton? Or am I reading that wrong? Mine is Reynolds Lopi and it is the itchiest scratchiest coat in the entire world :(

No chorus?
Houyhnhnms!
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #290
cecile
Casting On

Lopi for Einstein and generally... softening it.
Lopi is mostly scratchy because of the crud in the fiber. You have to pick as much out as you can when you knit it. (Can you tell I've knit with Lopi before?) Once it is done, you need to wash it (I recommend by hand, but have done it in cold in a machine with a spoon full of my quilt soap) and use a fabric softener. That will help a lot. The yarn softens after that process. Don't get me wrong, it won't EVER be like alpaca (ahh, alpaca...) but it's definitely an improvement.

Having said that, I am using Lopi because someone gave me about 20 balls of black Lopi once, and I haven't used more than two or three balls (and all for felting). If I didn't have that yarn, I would have thought about doing it in Brown Sheep Bulky, because that is a similar weight yarn that comes in GREAT colors, and it's softer. Or, in Noro's Yori. Yum.

Anyway. Don't give up on Einstein because of the Lopi. The other thing you can do is line the inside neck, and perhaps the inside cuffs with a similar color fleece sewn in. (Or knit an alpaca scarf and mittens in a lovely contrasting color...Can you tell I like alpaca? ) I can't think what else would be against your skin, since I think it looks like a definite BAD weather coat.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Cecile