Old 02-09-2006, 08:51 AM   #31
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
If you go to the Basic Techniques--more tab above, there are instructions for making your own needles.

Interchangeable sets have different sized points that you can attach to different length cords to make the size you need. There is an entire thread of this in the general knitting section.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #32
Carol_OH
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by kitkat

But your OUR weirdo and we love ya!
*beams* :D

I'm selwynne on ravelry
Carol_OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:16 PM   #33
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
Originally Posted by catontheroof
I have lots of chopsticks lying around (cuz I eat Chinese food a lot) and I'm thinking about making knitting needles from them. Any idea how to make the surface smooth?
Have anyone tried this before?
I always do that. Take left over chopsticks and recycle them into DPN's!! Just take a pencil sharpener(the size of the hole should be about the size of the chopstick), sharpen the tip that you eat off of(or both sides for DPN's), then take a piece of sand paper and sand it until its smooth. I used a nail file also, so maybe you could try both to see which one works for you. If you are only going to make straights, glue a big bead or something like that on the end so that your work doesn't fall off.

And there you have it.... A DPN or a Straight needle
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:18 AM   #34
catontheroof
Casting On

Quote:
If you go to the Basic Techniques--more tab above, there are instructions for making your own needles.
of course!! Thanks...

Jenelle, thanks for the tips! Yay, can't wait to try it!!
... now if only I could find that pencil sharpener under the mess that is my desk.... lol

I've just found that being a knitter doesnt only mean being a yarn junkie... but also a needle junkie... lol so glad I decided to learn how to knit... didnt thought it'd be this exciting (AND addictive... )
catontheroof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #35
TamaraKnits
Ribbing the Cuff

Ooh I love this thread. There is something about knitting that just brings out the collector/hoarder/stasher in me. I inherited a lot of needles when my grandmother passed away and love buying new needles and yarn of course! I actually keep an inventory of my yarn and my needles in my knitting notebook to prevent at least some excess purchasing.

I love the post a while back about collecting needles of a certain color - I hadn't thought about that! I am addicted to purple and if I found purple needles they would go home with me immediately!

Anyway the collection:

Straights: size (length")
1 (10"), 2 (10"), 3 (14"), 4 (14"), 5 (14"), 6 (14"), 7 (7"), 8 (7"), 9x2 (9"), 10 (9"), 10 1/2 (9"), 11x2 (9", 14"), 13 (9"), 15x2 (9"), 17 (9")

All are either aluminum or plastic - I don't use straight needles much actually I prefer doing almost everything on circulars...

1 Denise Set

Circulars: (other than the denise set) size (length")
2x2 (16"), 3 (24"), 5 (29"), 7 (29"), 8x2 (29"), 9 (29"), 10 (29"), 11 (29"), 15 (29")

DPNs (rarely used):
000, 00, 0, 1, 6, 8, 10.5

I am still searching for the perfect small gauge circfulars for my round knitting. I bought 2 size 2 Quicksilvers recently for socks and I really like the tips but don't like the join very much. And one thing I HATE about all non-Denise circs I've tried is the coily cord even after I boil them and try to straighten them.

I'm thinking of purchasing some Bryspuns since the cord supposedly coils less and they are all one piece. I'm also curious about Addi turbos - are they worth the price?
TamaraKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:01 PM   #36
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Addis are worth every penny, especially if you hate a stiff or coiled cord. You can take them out of the package and knit--no need to straighten them out.

I my Addis!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #37
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
How do you straighten them out?? My circ's have been used and they still curl!!! :(
Old 02-10-2006, 10:08 PM   #38
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by catontheroof
Jenelle, thanks for the tips! Yay, can't wait to try it!! ... now if only I could find that pencil sharpener under the mess that is my desk.... lol
Hehe no problem Just make sure that you only do a few at a time or you'll end up with blisters like I did