Old 02-08-2006, 06:38 AM   #1
catownedanna
Working the Gusset

What can I knit for a newborn?
My cousin is due with her first child on Saturday (Feb 11th) and when I found out about the pregnancy this fall I decided to knit something for the little one.

Next week I'm going away for a couple of days and I can't really bring any of my ongoing projects (too heavy, too large or too long needles) on the train. I thought I could stop by my LYS later this week and get some yarn and needles for a new project.

The only question is; what project??? I need something that can be useful or fun for the parents or the baby, easy to bring and not too complicated as I'm knitting on a train.

Do you have any ideas? I was thinking stuffed animal, hat and mittens, simple sweater or something like that.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and patterns! :D
catownedanna is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-08-2006, 09:00 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I think a hat would be something that would get used a lot, especially with the baby coming in the middle of winter. Everything else is usually covered up, but that head needs to be kept warm.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
Cristy
Instepping Out

I agree--try a simple hat--you oculd probably get a couple of them finished on the train ride...

I'm jealous, btw--I've always wanted to take a train ride...and to be able to do it and knit too....heaven...

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
I love making baby socks...so fun! And they only take about 1 1/2 hours each. This is the pattern I like.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
Julie
Instepping Out

I agree, baby socks are so fun to knit...hats are fast and easy...or if they're cloth diapering, soakers are prtty quick too! My CD friends all loooove the soakers I knit for them. :D
Old 02-10-2006, 02:23 AM   #6
catownedanna
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Ingrid
I think a hat would be something that would get used a lot, especially with the baby coming in the middle of winter. Everything else is usually covered up, but that head needs to be kept warm.
That's a great idea! Thanks! :D

Quote:
I agree--try a simple hat--you oculd probably get a couple of them finished on the train ride...

I'm jealous, btw--I've always wanted to take a train ride...and to be able to do it and knit too....heaven...
It's not a superlong train ride but I'll be sitting there for 4½hours each way. And I'll be spending two nights in a hotel, which means I'll have plenty of time to finish something small! :D

Quote:
I love making baby socks...so fun! And they only take about 1 1/2 hours each. This is the pattern I like.
I loooove those different patterns! And now I can make a matching set of hat and socks. Thanks for the link!

Quote:
I agree, baby socks are so fun to knit...hats are fast and easy...or if they're cloth diapering, soakers are prtty quick too! My CD friends all loooove the soakers I knit for them.
Here in Sweden cloth diapering is very uncommon and I doubt they'll use that... But if they do, soakers are a great idea. Thanks. :D
Old 02-10-2006, 04:45 AM   #7
knittingdoula
1st Leg of the Journey

How about a pair of longies? I was able to finish mine in about a week without killing myself over it at ALL. Try www.littleturtleknits.com for a pattern that's very doable.

You can use them with either disposables or cloth diapers, and if you make them with a very soft wool, they're warm and cozy for the baby. Make them in size small or medium so the child has something to grow into. Everyone gets newborn stuff, but not things for later in the game!

Alison
----------------------------------------------------------

Obsessive knitter and yarn addict. Mama to Jenna (24), Liza (our angel), David (7), Miriam (1) and EDD 3/26/07. Wife to the spectacular David, who encourages and finances my addiction. I am blessed.
knittingdoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:02 AM   #8
catownedanna
Working the Gusset

My cousin had her baby boy yesterday!

My timing when it comes to knitting was perfect as I this weekend finished this set of matching hat and socks. I used a denimblue yarn and a pale greenyellow one.

It was fun to knit and I have so much yarn left over that I can make another set. And yet another... Or perhaps a top? Hmmm...

Thank you, kemp, for leading me in the direction of p2designs. :D