View Poll Results: How often do you knit with Acrylic yarn?
It's all I knit with...I'm on a budget! 7 9.09%
I use it often and like it just fine. 45 58.44%
It's usually too scratchy so I only use it when knitting for my MIL... 10 12.99%
I wouldn't be caught dead with acrylic in my knitting bag... 15 19.48%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2006, 10:52 PM   #21
knittingachiever
Knitting the Flap

A lot of the cool specialty yarns that are so fun to make kitschy scarves with are 100% acrylic (or some other oft-maligned synthetic yarn), like Crystal Palace Splash. So I do plenty of knitting with synthetic fibers.

BUT...what held me back when I first started knitting from really enjoying myself was picturing the look I had to plaster on my face when my grandmother would present me with a horribly scratchy, misshapen sweater she had knitted. It made me sad that all the work I was putting into my creations would ultimately result in generally non-plussed reactions. Once I discovered my LYS and all the beautiful natural fibers that would knit into garments and accessories that people would WANT to wear, that's when I became an addict.
knittingachiever is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-13-2006, 12:34 AM   #22
knittingdoula
1st Leg of the Journey

For all those who are holding their breath about the soft yarn at Michaels', I will go tomorrow and check it out and get back to you. Sorry to be such a yarn tease!

Ingrid - for my baby longies, I use Malabrigo yarn. INCREDIBLY soft and scrumptious, though it does pill a bit. But my little girl seems very happy in it. For baby socks, I use Art Yarn supermerino, which is a nice washable yarn that knits up nicely. For a hat I'm making, I'm using Debbie Bliss baby Cashmerino, which does have 33% microfiber in it. It knits up beautifully, though, and has a lovely drape and touch.

I'll probably use more of the Baby cashmerino for a sweater. Oh yeah, and I ordered 4 skeins of Sheepsdown from EZ/Meg Swansen's site to make a baby blanket. It knits up at 2.5 stitches per inch and s a little rougher than I thought it would be. However, decent washing in Eucalan, plus some blocking, should produce fine results. I'm considering using the yarn for a sweater for myself, however, and finding another wool for Miriam's blanket.

Now I'm kind of curious to try alpaca yarn. Does anyone else have any experience with it? How does it wear? Lots of pilling?

Alison
----------------------------------------------------------

Obsessive knitter and yarn addict. Mama to Jenna (24), Liza (our angel), David (7), Miriam (1) and EDD 3/26/07. Wife to the spectacular David, who encourages and finances my addiction. I am blessed.
knittingdoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:38 AM   #23
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Alpaca is wonderful! Soft and warm, just lovely to work with. I haven't done anything but a scarf and a bag (shaped like an alpaca), so I don't know about wear, yet. I do have some lovely, gorgeously hand dyed alpaca that I will be knitting up after I'm done caressing and admiring it. So, so soft. . . .

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:57 AM   #24
knittingachiever
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by knittingdoula
Now I'm kind of curious to try alpaca yarn. Does anyone else have any experience with it? How does it wear? Lots of pilling?
I alpaca. I haven't had a lot of pilling problems - sure, it gets a little sheddy, but no worse than good-quality merino.

I find it wears almost like cashmere. It is wonderfully soft, but it doesn't hold a great shape, so I wouldn't try anything highly tailored with it.
knittingachiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #25
PurlyGyrl
Working the Gusset

Economics and limited access to a LYS (just to fondle the yarns ) keeps me using acrylics. Some are scratchy and icky (yes, like Red Heart--but it does soften a bit after washing) and I try to avoid those. But most work well for my project. Maybe when I win the lottery I'll be able to purchase more acrylic-less yarns.

I'm PurlyGyrl on Ravelry, too!
I just don't know how to do that button thing
My favorite blue eyed guy
PurlyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:23 AM   #26
knitncook
Working the Gusset

I voted "wouldn't be caught dead" but I SO wanted to vote for the MIL one only because it is so funny But I would never knit anything for my MIL anyway, so she wouldn't even get acrylic from me. Of course my real answer is that I knit with some acrylic wool blends for kids' wear and will use acrylic for oddball little things like the nose of a hedgehog.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #27
Kirochka
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Kirochka
As a new knitter, I've only used acrylic so far because it's cheap and I don't want to use something more expensive until I know what I'm doing. That said, the one time I did some practice knitting with some wool at my mother's, my eyes stung the entire time. So although I have no problem wearing wool, there might be an allergy problem with knitting with it... I have yet to find out. Some have suggested that that particular wool might have been treated with something and that if I washed it it wouldn't cause the problem...

I'm using Red Heart for this scarf for my husband that's developed out of my practicing 2x2 ribbing and it doesn't seem scratchy to me (and I'm VERY sensitive to scratchy yarns...). Maybe it's because I don't have experience with other yarns yet! :rollseyes:

Kirochka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #28
flecker
Casting On

I use mostly acrylic. I've been making tons of baby blankets and afghans. The main thing for me is that I can find it anywhere. Expense is too, since I am feeding the addiction of knitting I can't spend a fortune on it.
I don't buy red heart, but caron is usually good. I usually touch everything when picking it out, to me different colors have different feels, even if brand is same. Machine washable is huge factor in everything I buy. I just don't have time or patience to hand wash.

I would like to try a booga bag in future, though.
Kim
flecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #29
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

Great question!

I chose "I use it often and I like it just fine"...I mostly use it for baby items, like blankets and hats, although lately I've been using 100% wool for my kids hats (Lion Wool and Bernat Lana(merino, nice and soft!) which I can get at Hobby Lobby pretty easily).

I usually try to use at least a blend, like Lion brand Wool-Ease, (nice and affordable) because I can wash it-for my kids things that is really necessary! LOL. I like Plymouth Encore's color selection better, but LB's is a little more affordable for me.

That being said, I know there's a secret yarn-snob hiding inside, and if I could afford it (and washing practicality aside) I would definitely choose natural fibers over acrylic...I love the thought of using something natural, that's been used for centuries, and has such a lovely feel in my hands while I work... I even think about the sheep or animal it came from :D (can you tell I got Bamboo on the "what kind of needle are you" quiz? he he)
Old 02-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #30
KatyKoolkat
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to KatyKoolkat
I had to make a comment when I saw people commenting on Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino. You can get SO hooked on this stuff. When I started my preemie outfits to donate to the hospital, I wanted something really soft, and, of course, being at my LYS, I picked this stuff. Now I can't get away from using it! Although last time I worked it out math wise, I think it would cost the same. (Now I am curious, so all of you will know too!!...hang on)

2 outfits out of Debbie Bliss (an outfit consists of hat, booties, and sweater)
3 balls (400 yds) 30 dollars (cdn prices)

2 outfits out of Bernat Baby Softee
1 ball (400 yds) 5 dollars

Ok, so I was wrong. But I can't justify the baby softee cause it just isn't soft enough!! At risk of hijacking the thread, what do you all think? Is it better to go more expensive for this sort of thing? And what about the sensitivity of the babies' skin?

thanks
Katy
KatyKoolkat is offline   Reply With Quote