View Poll Results: How often do you knit with Acrylic yarn?
It's all I knit with...I'm on a budget! 7 9.09%
I use it often and like it just fine. 45 58.44%
It's usually too scratchy so I only use it when knitting for my MIL... 10 12.99%
I wouldn't be caught dead with acrylic in my knitting bag... 15 19.48%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2006, 05:08 PM   #31
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

I'm not afraid to sound like a snob. Call me what you will, but Acrylic yarns are garbage (with the exception of a few blends). Michael's is also garbage, you can't buy anything nice in that jip-joint even if your pockets were stuffed full of cash. Also, why give your money to those corporate slime balls? If you spend your money in local shops they will still be there when you need them. Donít allow the corporate giants to run the local shops out of business!

If you are on a limited budget, go to your LYS and rummage through their discontinued/sale yarns. That way you can find something nice, but not hurt the check book too badly.

Your time is valuable, why spend hours upon hours knitting a project using cheap yarn? A hand made garment should be nicer than what you can just go buy at a store!

Look at it this wayÖ

Letís say it takes 40 hours to knit a sweater.
Letís say your job pays $10/hr.
That means there is $400 worth of labor that has gone into your sweater.
Now you have a $400+ sweater made out of Acrylic. Does that make sense!?
If you want cheap machine washable clothes, then why not just work the 40 hours and take your $400 to JC Penny? You will end up with a lot more than a single acrylic sweater.

Now, what if you consider your labor to be worth more than $10/hr. Say you feel you are worth $25/hr. Then you have a $1000+ Acrylic sweater.

Friends donít let friends knit with cheap yarn!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-14-2006, 02:33 AM   #32
quirky
Knitting the Flap

On the alpaca question - I had a poncho made of alpaca. My mother gave it to me. She wore it throughout the 60s and 70s. I wore it for another 20 years. I finally gave it to someone else. It was still beautiful and not in the least thread bare. Even though I wore it like my primary coat. (and its chilly in Colorado) Well worth the money spent on alpaca!
quirky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:01 AM   #33
Lana
Turning the Heel

I don't like cheap acrylics, but I love working with the really good stuff.
I don't like cheap wool either.
The LYS has some of the crummiest wool I have ever touched.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:51 PM   #34
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Well HORRORS of HORRORS, I am allergic to wool! So even if I am knitting for someone else, the best I can do is use a blend. Can you believe that? What kind of hideous joke is it to turn me into a knitting addict and I can't even use most of the best fibers! UGH!
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #35
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

I didn't vote since my answer really isn't there. I think acrylics have their place. I prefer wool and other natural fibers for most of the things I made but I would never put my children in a garment made from a good wool or other natural animal fiber. If my kids are in it, it must be washable. I prefer to use a superwash wool or wool blend but will use some of the nicer acrylics.
sockettes in KP Bare tweed

Crocheting:
Fat Bottom Bag from SNB - Crochet

Reading:
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:08 PM   #36
glomper
Ribbing the Cuff

There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of acrylic yarns available here, just a few brands. Most yarn in the shops is either wool or some other type of synthetic (nylon,polyester) or a blend.

The cheapest yarn is acrylic and I do use it for small projects and my daughter (71/2 yrs old) practices knitting with it. The children also like really colourful yarn and so when I let them pick out yarn for me to make jumpers for them they chose courtelle acrylic which was multi-coloured.

There are some really nice wools yarns available but I don't want to attempt making an adults jumper in a really good yarn until I am more confident.

The most expensive yarns I have seen in the shops are actually synthetic novelty types. Some of these still need to be handwashed too.
glomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:12 PM   #37
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by CarmenIbanez
Well HORRORS of HORRORS, I am allergic to wool! So even if I am knitting for someone else, the best I can do is use a blend. Can you believe that? What kind of hideous joke is it to turn me into a knitting addict and I can't even use most of the best fibers! UGH!
Have you looked into Alpaaaaaaaca?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:51 PM   #38
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

I haven't. But I should. I am actually allergic to a lot of natural fibers. I can't get anywhere near down either. UGH! I can however, use blends. I don't have a problem with most natural fibers that are blended with acrylics. I think I will try out alpaca. It is funny, but I have to buy a skein, and either sleep with it or knit it up into something.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:56 PM   #39
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by CarmenIbanez
I haven't. But I should. I am actually allergic to a lot of natural fibers. I can't get anywhere near down either. UGH! I can however, use blends. I don't have a problem with most natural fibers that are blended with acrylics. I think I will try out alpaca. It is funny, but I have to buy a skein, and either sleep with it or knit it up into something.
I'd sleep with my alpaca yarn if I wasn't afraid of it unravelling!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:36 PM   #40
Darhain
1st Leg of the Journey

I am a 60s throwback, earth-lovin, tree-huggin', natural livin', hippie mama ... so I pretty much only knit with natural fibers. :XX: Yes, even for my kids. And I prefer to use yarns that are as close to their natural state (untreated, minimally processed, organic, etc.) as possible, though I don't always maintain that standard. So wool, cotton, alpaca, cashmere, mohair, bamboo (absolutely it!), etc. make up the majority of my stash. (I do have some blends, especially sock yarns with a nylon content.)

I try to dress myself and my family in natural fibers, use natural fibers in my home, avoid chemicals in our home and body care items, eat traditional foods (i.e. whole foods, not chemicals or anything engineered or hydrolized or hydrogenated, organically grown/grass fed as much as possible) and generally live a simple, natural, low-impact kind of life. So, for me, natural fibers fit into my idea of healthy living (healthy for me and my family, and healthy for the planet).

Also, I think MrTea brings up a valid point. If I am going to invest my time in a project, I want that project to be worth taking that time away from other things in my life. Does that make sense? For me (just personally speaking here, so just FOR ME), synthetic yarns don't fall into the "worth it" category. They don't make me happy, I don't like the idea of using them, don't like the actuality of working with them, don't like the idea of someone I care about wearing/using them. (Your skin is your largest organ, remember? And you can absorb all kind of stuff via your skin, so wouldn't it be better to wear natural fibers, sleep under natural fibers, than it would be to wear something petroleum based, made out of plastic, yucky?!? I think about these things when I'm knitting. )

As Alison mentioned, this is just MY take on things, and I don't feel that it is my place to impose that on anyone else. Doesn't mean I won't suggest alternatives, but I'm pretty much live and let live when it comes to yarn (and a lot of other things, too ).