Old 02-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
kayeknit
Turning the Heel

Cheapskate in need of persuasion...
Well, I FINALLY found the yarn I need to make my summer sweater. It was discontinued last year, so there's very little of it left. It originally cost $5.75/ball, now it is $3.00/ball. Seemed cheap, until I realized I needed 13 balls, which will come to about $50.00 (with shipping). Now I'm not so sure I want to knit that lovely, beautiful sweater. Also, I read about the yarn on Knitters' Review, and some people complain that it pills after just a few washes. (Would handwashing help with that??) To sum up, I need some persuasion. I'm sooo frugal with everything, and I've never spent $50.00 on any item of clothing in my life! But I really do love this pattern. HELP!!!!
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:15-18)

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
- Albert Einstein
kayeknit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-10-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
I used to cringe at the cost of some of the yarns needed to make nice sweaters. Then I made a sweater. The amount of time involved just isn't worth using cheap-o yarn for it. If I'm going to make something that I can't resist making, I want it to last through washing and wearing. I want to love the feel of the yarn in my hands and love the look of the colors and be proud of the finished product.

Look at what happened to Amy's WOTA sweater.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
I've not finished my sweater yet, but I agree with Ingrid. There is just way to much time and effort involved to end up having it pill, fall apart or just plain hate it when you are done.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
$3 is not alot for a ball of yarn, but I think you did the right thing in reading the reviews....if it pills, then its not worth it. I would want to assume that the reviewers have been washing according to the instructions on the label...it shouldnt pill as long as they are. What yarn is it, by the way?
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

Being rather *ahem* frugal myself, I too would be hesitant. Well, hesitant might be an understatement But you have options...
- Find a cheaper, but still pretty (and quality!!) substitute yarn...
- Try to salvage substitute yarn from a thrift-store sweater (I am still boggled over the fact that I got a cashmere sweater for $1... which equals over 200 yds of yarn for a buck!! )
- Suck it up and decide that you will love this sweater enough to spend the $50 for the yarn. Hand wash and invest in a sweater shaver.
I absolutely hate when I see that ball of yarn is three dollars and think "Wow, what a deal!" only to find out that it's only a 50gm ball with *maybe* 85 yards per ball or so... but like Ingrid said, if you're going to spend that much time making something special, make sure it will last and be something you're proud to wear.
Good luck!!

My Patterns - so far
Last Minute Scarf,Sideways Rib Reversible Scarf, Trinity's Top, Hunter's Itty Bitty Baby Socks
punkhippiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:52 AM   #6
kayeknit
Turning the Heel

Thanks for all the input, guys. The yarn is Classic Elite Newport merc. cotton...70 yards/ball. (Click here: http://www.handworksgallery.com/newporty.htm )
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's expensive. (I thought everyone would think I was a super "cheapo"! )
The only problem is, I can't seem to find an inexpensive alternative. It calls for a bulky cotton yarn as a substitute. Anyone have any ideas?
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:15-18)

- Albert Einstein
Old 02-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

What about good old Sugar & Cream cotton?

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 02-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #8
kayeknit
Turning the Heel

Excuse my ignorance, but who makes "Sugar & Cream"?

- Albert Einstein
Old 02-11-2006, 09:30 AM   #9
countingsheep
Working the Gusset

I have no idea what the pattern looks like or if this would even work but... I used Lion Brand kitchen cotton for a throw - I used 2 strands to bulk it up. It has lasted beautifully and you can get the big spools for $10.00 - I used 4 of these for the entire throw which is really big!

Don't feel bad about the "cheapo" thing - I am constantly trying to find alternative yarns that fit my budget. I can blow the whole thing on one project or shop around and do lots of projects. :rofling: Well, that's how it's supposed to work but I sometimes slip.

Good luck, Angela
countingsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

It's Lily Sugar & Cream. It doesn't have the same finish as the one you posted, but it's mighy inexpensive, and really does knit up nicely. I've made washclothes out of it, but I also did a little dress as a pattern test and it was remarkably nice to handle and the finished stitches looked very smooth and even.

Like the yarn Angela pointed out, I guess it would be considered a kitchen cotton, but there's certainly not a law. I think Silver posted a picture of a sweatshirt she made with it and it looked wonderful.

I have a bunch of it and will probably make a sweater out of it one day, well, because I have a bunch of it.

IngridKH on Ravelry