Old 02-12-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
kd1949
Casting On

Continental or English for brand new knitter?
This may be more of an "opinion" than how-to question, I don't know. Since I don't have any knitting experience, is there an advantage to teaching myself one method over another? I have the Continental caston down, but I am having trouble with both methods of knitting at the moment. I want to focus on just one, to avoid confusing myself, but I don't know which to choose.

Thanks!
Kathi
kd1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-12-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
You'll get opinions on both, I'm sure. I knit English, always have, always will. Others swear by Continental, saying it's faster.

I suggest trying both and see which feels more comfortable for you. That's the deciding factor for a lot of people.

In the end, the knitted project looks the same, so that's not a consideration.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
English here because it just feels right to me. I actually started out continental, but was having issues so I switched. There is no right or wrong or easy or hard way. It's what works for you.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:05 AM   #4
kd1949
Casting On

It looks like the English is working a little better for me. But it's so frustrating! I feel like I "have it" and then I have lost it again. I have a couple of yards of yarn and I'm just knitting and pulling it out over and over again. Can I really learn this?????
Old 02-13-2006, 12:08 AM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
It's knitting. Kids learn it. Hang in there--it was odd for all of us the first time!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:47 AM   #6
kd1949
Casting On

I'm doing it! I'm doing it! Something finally went "click" and it started working. Oh boy!

Kathi :XX:
Old 02-13-2006, 03:13 AM   #7
AidanM
Turning the Heel

You have to admit, taking two sticks and using them to tangle up yarn in a particular way over and over again is not what you might call a "natural" skill! No one is born knowing how to knit - Though several of us are born to knit.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:24 AM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Don't keep taking it out...keep going! That is the key to getting the hang of it and you can see your progress as you go further.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #9
heidi jean
Ribbing the Cuff

Your frustration is so normal, but hanging in there will reap 1000 times the reward of conquering the cordination. As to which technique is best..... it is all about comfort. I perfer the continental method because of holding the yarn on the left ( I crochet, it is a habit) and the continental method has less right hand movement. Watch Amy's videos and copy her movements, step by step. Have the needles in hand and use the pause button after you each movement, mimick each movement. The size of your stitches will be different, but at this point, gauge is not important, technique and what, where, and how is the focus. I wish I knew about this website when I started.
heidi jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:20 PM   #10
kd1949
Casting On

I have gone insane. My neighborhood craft store is having a big yarn sale, and I went back this morning and bought lots more yarn, more needles, books . . .

Once I started "getting it" I couldn't stop! And all those luscious yarns, how can you not buy them all? I had to slap myself to get me out of the store today.

What I have found working for me is the double caston, then English style knitting. I was able to figure out the English better.

Kathi