Old 02-14-2006, 01:35 AM   #1
ctmax
Knitting the Flap

how long does is take to knit a sweater
I just started my first adult sweater, it is a really basic sweater. I started this sweater at about 1:00 this afternoon and from the amount I got done today this sweater is going to take me a month. So I'm just asking on the average how long does it take everyone to finish a sweater? Maybe I'm just a really slow knitter
ctmax is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-14-2006, 01:48 AM   #2
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
what weight yarn and size needles are you using? took me a week to make a hoodie, but it was wool ease thick and quick, and I think size 15 needles.

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:50 AM   #3
Merry Stitcher
Ribbing the Cuff

Lots of variables in that question. It all depends on the gauge of the yarn, size of needles, and -- of course -- the size and complexity of the sweater. Add to that how much time you make available for knitting, and....well, you get the idea. Who knows?

My first sweater was a basic v-neck pullover out of pretty chunky yarn. If memory serves, it probably took me about a month of pretty part-time knitting to finish it up.

My second sweater, which is basically as basic, but made from a finer gauge yarn is taking me forever. I think I started it in September, and I'm finally working on the last sleeve. Though, because of the pattern on this one, sometimes I've felt like I've done more ripping than knitting.

My advice is relax and enjoy. You'll finish when you finish. And, it'll be perfect!

No pressure!
- Mary
Merry Stitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:30 AM   #4
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

I find that I knit a lot slower when I start a new project. It's like I have to get used to the yarn and pattern and then I can fly along. I knitted a fisherman sweater (my second sweater ever) for my dh in about a month, but that was because I had quit my job and was able to listen to audiobooks and knit all day if I wanted to.

I agree with Mary, no pressure, just enjoy the experience. I know I did!

My blog
sfavereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Ive been working on and off on my basic, worsted weight sweater since the beginning of the year.... No worries!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
knittingachiever
Knitting the Flap

I just finished my first sweater, and it took ages! I started in August. But that was with very sporadic work - I kept putting it aside to make mittens for birthdays and what-have-you. I figure if it were all I'd worked on and I'd worked a couple hours a day rain or shine, it would have taken a couple months.
knittingachiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
The first question people ask when they see me in a handmade sweater is "How long did it take you?" I never have a definite answer. It really depends on how much time I'm willing to put into it, how many other things I get distracted by, and of course the size of the yarn and needles.

I generally answer that I started knitting it one day and finished when it was done. I've never worked on one thing exclusively, so I'd have to say from a few weeks to a few months.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
ella
Ribbing the Cuff

Takes me about 6 weeks, but I work full time and can only grab 10-30 minutes on a weekday and maybe a couple hours on the weekend.
ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
knitncook
Working the Gusset

It takes me no time at all....... because I don't knit sweaters. Seriously, that should have been my Olympic challenge was to make a sweater, but I get SO bored with large projects. I am thinking of knitting a sweater this summer so it will be done by next winter. I used to think that I was a slow knitter, but have recently discovered that I'm fairly quick when I put my mind to it.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #10
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

I really can't say for sure, since I'm like Ingrid, and never work on just one project at a time... even with the KO on, I've got a pullover for DS that I'm working on back and forth.
The top I made out of RH Casual Cot'n took around a week of knitting... the crocheting and seaming wasn't done until about 6 months later! My Skacel pinwheel sweater probably has around 30-40 hours or so of knitting in it, but I still have to do the seaming on that.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote