Old 02-15-2006, 12:33 AM   #1
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
susan bates circular
Has anyone tried these? I them!!!! The coil is VERY soft and durable. I have NeedleMaster but I need 16 inch and with the needles on they measure 18 or 20. So I have to buy the 16s in all the needle sizes. My birthday is next week so guess what I'm asking for ? Very fexible and don't coil back up.Wish everyone used this coil!!!!!

Julie
momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-15-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
RachelJean
Knitting the Flap

Susan Bates makes 2 kinds of circulars - silvalume and quicksilver. I really love the silvalume ones for the reasons you say - the cables are really flexible. The quicksilvers are ok, but the cable on them seems to be a little stiffer.
RachelJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

They are my favorite circulars. I don't think you can find a better circular for the money. The points don't keep poking a hole in my fingers. Am still adding Susan Bates to my needle collection in spite of having a needle master set. Hoping the points on the larger Needlemaster will be just as gentle as Susan Bates. Am trying thimble patches with my Needlemaster until I get all sizes needed in Susan Bates needles.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

I have mostly Silvalume. Have one that is plastic or resin...not aluminum...haven't used it yet...hope it is as great as the Silvalume. Really wish Susan Bates would make an interchangeable set.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
Susan Bates makes Silverado, Silvalume and Quick Silver. The QuickSilver are grey needles with clear plastic cords. I don't like them, they feel weird in my hands. The Silvalume are aluminum needles with clear plastic cord. These ones are okay. The Silverado ones are the ones I love. thay have the flexable, black cord. The Silvalume and Silverado come in the same pink packaging and the Quick Silver comes in blue packaging.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:08 PM   #6
TamaraKnits
Ribbing the Cuff

The Needlemaster set is actually made by Boye.

But since we're on the topic of Susan Bates I have as set of Quicksilvers and find the cord stiff and that even after boiling I don't like how coiled it is. The needle part itself is fine but the join is not as smooth as I'd like. I'm knitting a sock on two size two 16" Quicksilvers and it is a pain switching between needles because of the join.

Thanks for the other Susan Bates recommendations. I ordered some Addi Turbos and Bryspuns and I'll let you know how they are. (Though I've heard so many great things about the Addis I expect they will be fantastic.)

The cords and the joins are so important I am finding.

Edit - if you are going to go out and buy a bunch of 16" needles it would be very economical to get the Denise set. They are fantastic! The sizes included range from 5-15 however the size 5 is the same size as the cord so I don't find it as comfy as the rest.
TamaraKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:15 AM   #7
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
I have looked at the Denise set and don't like the plastic needles. I'm a die hard metal fan, but thanks for the advise :D

Julie
momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote