Old 02-21-2006, 10:07 AM   #111
kayeknit
Turning the Heel

All of your FOs look sooo beautiful, everyone! I am working on a little blanket, and I need an address where to send it when I finish. Unfortunately, I will not be able to post a picture, as I don't have a digital camera... :crying:
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:15-18)

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
- Albert Einstein
kayeknit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #112
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

Oh Ellen, what a touching story. I am always humbled when folks share stories like that. A gal I used to work with lost a baby 5 months into her pregnancy, a little girl she named Ryan Dee. The hospital had little "Angel pockets" to wrap baby in for pictures and my friend had a little kit of all the things like the hospital bracelet and such to keep. She brought it to work to show us and tell us about their time with Ryan. I know it was part of her healing process, but it really made me feel privileged to know she shared it with us.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:56 AM   #113
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Cristy
knitncook--thanks for the patterns..I've almost finished hat B...it's soooo small...I keep thinking that it can't be right but I started w/ 40 stitches on size 3 dpns...at my snb tonight one of my group members has a friend who just lost twins (one a few hours after birth and the other about 4 days later) said that it might actually be a little large on babies as small as theirs...I almost cried. I just can't imagine heads that small...
I have seen little ones whose heads were just a little bit bigger than an egg. It all just depends how early they are born and how developed they actually are. Some of these precious babies can be held in just the palm of your hand.

kimmie~I sent you a pm for your address. I finished a small blanket and have started a hat. I'll post pics when I get home tonight. Everyone's FO's are awesome

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

On the needles: Not much
Finshed: Nothing lately
Lisa1216 on Ravelry
Lisa1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #114
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Mary --

Your FOs are precious, and so are those smiling faces in your sig!!

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:56 PM   #115
horve1
Turning the Heel

Made my first pair of booties, but I'm afraid they're too big. 3" from toe to heel. I'm making more - smaller - but will these be worth sending?
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #116
monzogary
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by DotMom61
Mary --

Your FOs are precious, and so are those smiling faces in your sig!!
Thanks! Don't let the smiling faces fool you - they can be little devils LOL.
And thanks to everyone else who commented on my FO's. I started a tiny little gown last night and hope to get it done by tomorrow. Then after that I have tons more single and partial skeins of cute stuff in my stash that can be put to good use! If I don't use a lot of it up, I think I may contact the big hospital near here and find out how I can do something similar for them.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:10 PM   #117
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

Mary, is the pattern for that hat you made available online? It's so sweet and pretty. While we're at it, I see a cute bonnet in your Avatar. Is that pattern free someplace?

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #118
monzogary
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Yvonne
Mary, is the pattern for that hat you made available online? It's so sweet and pretty. While we're at it, I see a cute bonnet in your Avatar. Is that pattern free someplace?
The hat pictured I just made top down with 4 DPNs. I started with 2 sts each on 3 needles and increased every other round until it was as big around as I wanted it, then did a few rounds of garter stitch. The pretty stitch pattern I adapted from a book of stitches I have. As for the bonnet in my avatar, its a pattern from a vintage book my mom gave me from the early 50's! So sorry to say neither are available free online. :(
Old 02-21-2006, 02:37 PM   #119
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

Mary, thanks for the info. I was doing the same thing with hats, i.e., plugging a pattern stitch into the part that is not the crown-shaping part.

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:03 PM   #120
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Wow, everyone has been so busy!

Trudy - Thank you so much for joining in in memory of your little boy. My heart just goes out to you and everyone else who has faced the loss of a child. Hugs!!

Mary - the little blanket and hat look soooo soft and I love the pattern on the hat. I can't get over how talented everyone is!

Kaye - I'll pm you my address and don't worry - I'll take a picture and post it for you when it arrives at my house. Thank you!!

BinkyKat - you are so right about the healing process and how many people need to talk about their loss - a lot. It just helps to know that others care and that's why I know people are going to really, really be touched by what everyone is making...because it shows how much people care.

Lisa - I pmed you, so hopefully you have my address. Thanks for sharing your experience about working at the hospital with these little babies. Like Cristy said, it is just so hard to fathom how tiny they are.

Horve - Your booties sound adorable. I'm guessing that 3" booties might be too big for preemies, but I would think that there are bigger babies at the hospital and that the nurses would find a good use for the booties and they would be really appreciated. I'll leave it up to you what you'd like to do. I'm so impressed that you made them. I have a book of baby bootie patterns that I drool over, but I haven't tried any of them yet!

Mary - I am looking forward to seeing the gown you are working on. You and one or two others have mentioned contacting your local hospitals about continuing making things for babies there and that touches me so much! I have no doubt that they will be thrilled to hear from you!

kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote