Old 02-23-2006, 01:41 AM   #131
jamadian75
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to jamadian75 Send a message via MSN to jamadian75
Sidenote: There aren't enough hours in the day to read all I would like to on this forum!! Wow - so glad I stayed up long enough to find this

kimmie, please PM me the address...I will begin work on some things in a couple of days. This seems like the perfect way to use some of the left over yarns from other projects instead of letting them lie around.

I commend you for finding a purpose in your loss and for giving others the opportunity to share their kindness.

On Zee Needles:
*Central Park Hoodie (KH KAL); *Sangria Sock #2 (for me!); Mystery project in Noro Iro; *Other UFO's which shall remain nameless

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
jamadian75 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-23-2006, 08:41 AM   #132
margie
Instepping Out

My father was at our local senior center yesterday, and apparently was telling someone there about the knitting I've been doing, both for the chemo kids knitalong and this project. They made the comment that our local hospital has a need for these little tiny items too. I think they volunteer there. I'm going to call and see what I can find out- that way, I can make them for both! I've gotten 3 little hats, 2 blankies, and one bonnett finished. The bonnett is adorable- a little bigger than the micro-preemie hats I've made, but I'm sure it will be usable. I will post a picture of it after I get the ribbon to thread through the eyelets. I started another blankie yesterday.

Kimmie, I'm so glad that you started this project. Look at all the good that is being done- talk about a ripple effect!!
margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:40 AM   #133
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Jamadian - I pmed you my address. Thank you so much for joining in! I am so excited by the continued response to this. You all deserve a great big hug!!

Margie - It made me happy to hear that your Dad was telling his friends about these things you are doing. He is clearly so proud of you!!

That "ripple effect" that Margie mentioned is so wonderful! Several people have mentioned continuing this project at their local hospitals and others like Ingrid with the preemie Christmas hats and BinkyKat with the preemie thumbless mittens are thinking of other ways to reach out. It makes me feel SO good to think that one idea can blossom and affect so many people.

Warm fuzzies!!

kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:33 PM   #134
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

I agree re: the ripple affect. This is going to go on and continue way past the time Kimmie's project is over. It reminds of that movie, Pay It Forward. You just never know where something will lead and just how many lives it will affect.
I'm onto blankie #3, did one fetal demise pouch, two bonnets and a handful of hats thus far. I will send whatever I finish up in probably mid-March. I'll post some pics after I attach all the various ribbons and stuff.
Kimmie, if you PM me with your address I'll make a note of it and send my batch of stuff in a few weeks.

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:56 PM   #135
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Wow Yvonne! You have been really busy!! I'll pm you my address.

I finished a little pink blanket that I will take a picture of soon and am working on another. I'm having fun trying out different stitch patterns.

kimmie
Old 02-24-2006, 12:23 AM   #136
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

Kimmie--look at all this wonderful stuff you got started!! I'd never thought of the need for this, even though I lost a little one 6 months into my pregnancy. I stayed in a coma for over a week from blood loss and I found out then that I'd lost him. When I woke up my dh was on one side of the bed and my mom on the other and they told me he lived for a few hours. I still remember the emptiness. :crying:

My daughter was 5 years old, and I didn't see her for over a month because I stayed in the hospital that long. Back then, they wouldn't let kids under 12 up there--when I got home, she and I just held each other and cried forever, so glad to see each other again. !!

I've made a hat and blankie already and plan on trying some other little things. They are SO teeny! Let me know your address, and I'll send them and whatever else I do, and I'll try to get a picture before I send them!

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:39 AM   #137
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Oh Trudy!! What happened to you and your family is so heartbreaking!! I cannot begin to imagine what it would have been like to be in a coma for so long only to awake to the reality that your baby died and then to be separated from your daughter on top of it all. Thank you so much for sharing that with us. I am so, so sorry for the loss of your baby and for having to be away from your little girl just when you needed each other so much. Big hugs to you!! Thank you for all you are doing to help comfort others. I'll pm you my address.

kimmie
Old 02-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #138
raederle
Ribbing the Cuff

lurker no more
Normally, I just read boards anonymously, because life gets busy, and I drop off the face of the earth, then feel guilty when I can't remember my login name and password. D'oh!

It's so funny, because here I am in El Paso, trying to pursue a volunteer blanket knitting group which seems to be purposefully hiding from me, so I can drop off the hat and mittens that I made for them to take to the local hospital. I made them for my son before he was born, then I realized they were way too small as soon as I finished them and showed them to other parents. They said, "No way will those fit, even on the day he's born!" At least I finished his crib blanket, my first big project, and in a pattern other than ribbing, too.

My son is now four months old, and I have started to get back into knitting, since I have reclaimed my arms since he doesn't want to be held 24/7 as much.

Please PM me your address, so I can send you what I have. I'll still try to track down the blankie group, but more for comradeship than for a drop-off. Also, as you may be able to tell, I'm brand new to posting, so if you could, point me in the direction of instructions for receiving PM's, please?

My motivation for trying to find this group is my daughter, Aeryn, who was stillborn a week before her due date on April 5th, 2004. The little box that they gave me with all the normally hospital-provided clothes-- hat, gown, and receiving blanket-- is one of the few things I have of hers, besides precious pictures.

Aeryn was so beautiful, 8 lbs 4oz, only her mouth was a little too red, and other than that, you'd never know she was anything but sleeping. Both my parents and in-laws were over-the-top excited to become grandparents for the first time, so we were so blessed that they were able to fly to El Paso in time to hold her before we let her go. It helps so much to hold them, and take photos, and if they can be dressed in something beautiful that's so much better, too.

Yes, make lots of angel pockets and hats that could fit a nectarine. But babies leave us too soon in all sizes, from heartbreakingly small to full-term.

There are some really good links in the Free Patterns section for Preemie stuff, as well as burial gowns. A special note: Bereaved parents often like to have sets of two, one to bury their baby in, and one to keep. Because we're military, we didn't want to leave our daughter behind when we move, so we chose to cremate her, and we'll inter her someday when we live somewhere permanently.

This page:
raederle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:43 AM   #139
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

You're welcome....I hope I didn't bring everyone down!! PLEASE please everyone, don't feel as if you cannot talk about the loss of loved ones. I know I have a wonderful son who I may NOT have had if my first little boy had lived. If he had lived, who knows under what circumstances?? He may not have been well a day in his life, and my DS has been such a great blessing to us, really. I would give my life for him and for my daughter. I am sure that all the rest of the parents out there feel the same way!!

This has been a god project for me; I've enjoyed using that Bernat Softee (I HITNK that's the name" and it's Sooooo soft. Just feeling it slip through my hands is a pleasure, and I think of the mothers and fathers who will be so glad to get a handmade dress or blankie to wrap their precious little one in!!! One of the things I'm making looks like a miniature prayer shawl, and they will need prayers to get them through that time. But hopefully, they'll have other children and be happy again one day.

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:07 PM   #140
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Hi Everybody!

I finished up this bitty blanket a couple of days ago and just got the chance now to take a picture of it. I am working on another one in the same yarn, but with a different stitch pattern. The great thing about these small projects are that they don't take too long!

I hope you are all having a good weekend!

kimmie
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	boxstitch_blanket.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	25311