Old 03-17-2006, 01:26 AM   #271
beckyrhae
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by kimmie
On a happier note, it does make me smile to think about you wearing a little hat on your toe!

kimmie
This made me smile too...

Becky
beckyrhae is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-17-2006, 11:14 AM   #272
knitterma
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to knitterma
This thread is so awesome. There's so much healing and compassion.

Right now I'm a nursing student with plans to work in maternity and eventually go on to midwifery school. I start my very first maternity rotation on Monday ( ). Something which has been really difficult to think about for me is how I will be helping people through losses such as these ... that little tiny people do die. I've found that as I'm working on these little hats I'm really working through that and coming to terms with it. Thank you for helping me find a way to work through a very difficult concept, and thank you for helping me help other people.

My second little hat in on the needles right now. :XX:

Too lazy to do a siggie...

Antennas to Heaven
knitterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:14 AM   #273
knitterma
1st Leg of the Journey

One last thing ... I joined this KAL a little late - what date do you want to have all the packages by?

Antennas to Heaven
Old 03-17-2006, 11:15 AM   #274
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Bridgette --

You may want to keep one or two of those little hats handy just in case you need them. :-(

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:21 AM   #275
knitterma
1st Leg of the Journey

Julie - the thought had occurred to me. I have plans after this project ends to talk to staff at the local hospital where I do clinical and see if they are in need of these types of items.

Antennas to Heaven
Old 03-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #276
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Bridgette - I'm going to do a drawing from the names of everyone who sent items to me by April 4th. One person will get 3 skeins of Noro Kureyon and another person will get 2 skeins of Manos del Uruguay. Sooo, it would be great if you could send me what you've made by then. I'm going to take everything over to the hospital a day or two later. If things arrive after that, I'll still bring them, of course!

I think it's so wonderful that you are going to be a nurse! That is something I've thought about doing ever since I was 16, but I have this issue with germs so I'm not sure it's a good fit for me! ha. I do know for sure that the world needs kind, caring, bright nurses and I'm SO GLAD that you are going to do this!! I'm also glad that knitting the little baby items is helping you work through your feelings about infant death. We had some angel-nurses who made such a difference for us!! It sounds like you are going to be just like them!

kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:27 PM   #277
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

Bridgette~I also love this thread. I have only made a few things, but I have another blanket on my needles and hopefully will be able to do a few more. I am also a nurse (although I don't work as one now) who has worked in woman's health for 15 years. I worked in Labor & Delivery for 6 years and at an OB/GYN office for 9. I loved L&D I didn't care much for the maternity/post-partum unit. I don't know why, just preferred L&D. We saw patients who were 20 weeks pregnant and over, and it never was easy when someone came in with a fetal demise or if a baby was bad at the time of delivery. Your heart breaks right along with theirs. If someone did deliver with a fetal demise though, they usually did not go to the maternity floor afterwards to recover. They usually went to the regular GYN floor, so if you are on a maternity floor with the nurseries, you probably won't be taking care of these woman. If you get to be in L&D, then the possibility is there. As Kimmie said, kindness and genuine caring definitely is appreciated and goes a long way. Also, I have known some great midwives~it is a wonderful profession. Good luck to you in your training and clinicals, and also if you persue midwifery training. (Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer anything for you.)

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

On the needles: Not much
Finshed: Nothing lately
Lisa1216 on Ravelry
Lisa1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:42 PM   #278
Cristy
Instepping Out

Kimmie--I've had a mishap (don't ask) with one of my blankets and I feel awful b/c that means I only have one hat and one blanket to send you (the ones I posted).

I am going to try to make another hat right now...I just feel awful that I can't knit faster! :(

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #279
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Cristy, please don't feel awful!! You have already knit one blanket and one hat - that is A LOT!!!! I appreciate it sooo much!

I totally understand about knitting mishaps. I've had bad knitting mojo or something lately. My latest fiasco was a sock I was knitting that had color pooling in a huge ugly spot. I brilliantly thought I'd color it with permanent marker. Live and learn. Not such a brilliant idea after all.

I'm not the world's fastest knitter either and it used to bother me, but I've come to realize that I enjoy the process, so it's okay if it takes me awhile. If I wanted "fast" I could run out to the mall and buy something.

kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:13 PM   #280
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Cristy--I had my own blanket mishap. I made one with lacy hearts, but realized too late (after it was done) that I messed up on the first set of hearts. I don't want to send something so imperfect. It happens to us all.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote