Old 02-15-2006, 03:57 PM   #21
kayeknit
Turning the Heel

What a nice idea. I would love to make a little blanket or two. You say only 10-12 inches square? Wow, that is really small. Any specific way to go about this, or should I just be creative? Also, where to send it when I finish? Thanks.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #22
Holly
Knitting the Flap

What a great idea -- I'd love to participate. Can someone share a pattern for a hat in the right dimmensions?
Holly
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:57 PM   #23
tab
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to tab
This is touching. I have a skein of baby yarn I bought on a whim, and this page has plenty of pattern ideas.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:06 PM   #24
knitncook
Working the Gusset

This project just really touches my heart. (Hopefully not too long sappy story to follow) When I was pregnant with my first baby, my HCG levels would never rise. My doctor kept telling me I wasn't pregnant. Even did a blood draw, but would refuse to do an u/s. We were living in a very small town with only one active OB/GYN. After 18 weeks of horrid morning sickness, swollen breasts and a definite tummy showing, I called my dh's old family doctor and he had me come in immediately. He scheduled an u/s and found out I was indeed pregnant, but the baby was in distress with a very slow heart beat. I ended up delivering my baby 3 weeks later stillborn. Unfortunately the stupid ucaring and ignorant doctor was attending that day and delivered my baby. S/He was whisked away because they felt it would be best if I didn't see her/him. I never got to hold my baby and was never given a certificate or anything to validate my baby. Many years later I again got pregnant with a baby that was stillborn, but had a totally different experience as I delivered at home with a midwife and was able to hold my itsy bitsy baby and cry over him and feel like it was all real rather than some horrid dream. I remember my midwife being ever so gentle with him and wrapping him in a small blanket which we used to bury him in later that day.

So count me in for this project! I'm sure I have plenty of stash to contribute. I'm trying hard to fathom a baby hat to fit a plum and think maybe the top of a child's sock would be a good start.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #25
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Wow! I am just overwhelmed by everyone's outpouring of kindness and caring. You guys are the best! Thank you Yvonne, Carmenlbanez, Margie, Lisa, Anna, Jan, Kaye, Holly, Tab and Michelle!!

Yvonne - fetal demise pouches would be perfect. In fact, the bereavement coordinator specifically mentioned that idea. There is one on the website that Tab shared (thanks Tab!!) http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/fetal-pouch.html that I've started making and I think there are others too.

Kaye - let's see...blanket specifics. First of all, I think that anything you do, any size will be great. They don't have to be exactly 10" or 12" square, those are just sizes that they can use a lot of. You could just knit in whatever stitch pattern you like until it looks square - sort of like a big swatch! Does that help? I can be more specific with stitch patterns if you'd like. If anybody else has any ideas, please jump in!

I think a soft acrylic sport weight yarn might work best just because these babies are sooooo tiny and fragile. The acrylic would be washable too. The bereavement coordinator suggested pink, blue or green as colors. That said, I do think that they will be touched by whatever anyone makes regardless of yarn type, weight or color, so please don't let that hold anyone back! I have a full-size worsted weight cotton baby blanket that I started awhile ago that I'm going to finish up and donate along with as many other items as I can make.

Michelle - thank you for sharing your story. I am so incredibly sorry that you lost TWO babies. What a horrible way you were treated the first time around. That is just so sad. I think your idea of making a hat based on the top of a child's sock is really smart. I have been pondering just how to make such a tiny hat myself. Creating patterns is not my forte.

If anyone does come up with a pattern for a tiny baby hat or blanket, could you please post it? The link Tab posted has lots of ideas and I'll search the Internet for more.

Thanks again to everyone! By tomorrow this thread will have a new home in the KAL forum.

kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #26
Barefootmama
Ribbing the Cuff

I would love to contribute to this. My heart aches for those of you who have lost a child. Sitting here teary eyed I know there isn't much I can do to comfort someone going through such grief, but I'll be happy to try by at least knitting a few things for them and their angel.
Barefootmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:40 PM   #27
mks22300
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to mks22300
Kimmie, you can count me in too. My heart aches too for those of you who have shared your stories with us. I cannot imagine what you and other parents must go through when you've lost something so precious.

I'm mks22300 at ravelry
mks22300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #28
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by kimmie
Michelle - thank you for sharing your story. I am so incredibly sorry that you lost TWO babies. What a horrible way you were treated the first time around. That is just so sad. I think your idea of making a hat based on the top of a child's sock is really smart. I have been pondering just how to make such a tiny hat myself. Creating patterns is not my forte.
Since it was my crazy idea to use a sock I'll work something up in the next day or two and post a pattern. Thank you for the fetal demise link. Such a tender idea.

I believe that there is a lesson for everything that happens. We may not realize the lesson for years or decades to come, but I think eventually we understand how that incident affected our lives. I don't believe these things are predestined like someone says, "And today we are going to make Michelle's life really suck" but I think that these things are part of our building blocks that make us ourselves. I have three wonderful children that I have enjoyed raising and while I miss my babies I lost, I can't imagine a world with them because we wouldn't be "us" if they were here. Probably doesn't make any sense. LOL!!

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #29
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by knitncook
I don't believe these things are predestined like someone says, "And today we are going to make Michelle's life really suck"
Oh my goodness, that made me laugh, but I completely understand what you are saying!

kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:49 PM   #30
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by knitncook

I can't imagine a world with them because we wouldn't be "us" if they were here. Probably doesn't make any sense. LOL!!
I know exactly what you mean. Whenever someone asks me what I would change about my life, good or bad, I always say no. Because I wouldn't be me if all the things that have happened in my life hadn't happened.

I'm going to get started on these right now. I just love the idea of having something that brings me such joy, and being able to use it to possibly comfort someone else. I have never felt like an artist as a knitter, but with this I sort of do. That probably sounds silly, but I don't care!
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote