Old 11-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #761
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,135 Times in 706 Posts
Thanks Kimmie Glad it got there ok.

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #762
coffeesnob
Casting On

I just walked into this thread, and I am glad I did! I am the new auntie to very preemie triplets. They were born at 28 weeks. Now three weeks old they are doing very well - growing every day. The NICU has been wonderful, and did have hats for them (although I promptly knitted hats of their own for them.) I hope that it is ok if I participate by donating hats and blankets to the NICU near to us. But I will gladly post pictures and share any patterns I use!
coffeesnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #763
kimmie
Turning the Heel

That's great, coffeesnob! Congratulations on being a new auntie!
kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #764
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Coffesnob - congratulations on being a auntie. What size did you use to knit the hats?

kimmie - I'm still in the process of reading the 700 odd posts here, but, do you have a count of how many blankets and hats have been donated?

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #765
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Whoops! Sorry it took me so long to check in here. Cacunn, this thread has been going on for a long time. It started as a project I was doing for a class I was taking and we collected amazing numbers of items. I'd have to go find my project binder to see what the grand total was, but it was phenomenal. Then, last year, the hospital needed little premie burial buntings and again, people sent in quite a few of them. This year, the hospital wants full-size baby blankets, because sadly, they have had a lot of full-term babies die or be stillborn. Since these are way more time consuming to knit compared to tiny little hats, burial buntings and blankets, I am understandably getting fewer. I took 5 into the hospital fairly recently and I have, I think 3 more ready to go. I meant to take them this past week, but things suddenly got busy, so I'll either take them this week or the next. I will try to knit a couple more over the winter and then go back to the smaller items because usually that is what they need.
So, in answer to your very good question - I don't know, but I wish I did! All I know is that people have been so kind and generous with their time and support and they have done so for so many reasons.
kimmie
Old 12-08-2008, 02:53 AM   #766
ckreed
Casting On

Preemie hats, mittens and booties
Hello All, I am new to these forums and am a new "knitter". Actually I cheat and am knitting on round and long looms. I find it faster and once I get used to this then I will try to learn more stitches. After I get done with Christmas (if I ever do) I plan on doing some preemie hats for the hospitals around here. This will be primarily for our county hospital that treats the indigent families and also the inmates at the correctional institutions around our area (there are lots). I will also donate to the other hospitals in the area. I am happy to join with you. Am I correct in thinking that preemie's should not have fuzzy hats? I feel since fuzzy yarn might prove to be respritory hazards that the yarn should be smooth. I did find a circular loom intended for mittens and am using the hand portion for the preemie hats.
ckreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #767
kimmie
Turning the Heel

ckreed, I think to be sure, you should contact the hospital that you'll be donating to and find out what their requirements are. The hats and blankets and such that have been knit for this project have been for babies that died, so I just don't know the answer about respiratory hazards. I'm sure that the hospital will be glad to have someone knitting for them!
Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting!!
kimmie
Old 12-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #768
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Hi Everyone! I know this is a super busy time of year for everyone, including me, but I just wanted to pop in and say how much I appreciate all of you. I started another pink baby blanket. I really need to do blue next...I seem to be drawn to pink these days.
I hope that you have a Merry Christmas!
kimmie
The Following User Says Thank You to kimmie For This Useful Post:
ritaw (12-24-2008)
Old 12-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #769
knitandpurl520
Ribbing the Cuff

Wow!

*Handmaiden Rumple Scarf ( ) !!

* Starting some Christmas Ornaments soon from Knit Simple Holiday 2009 issue with Mission Falls Wool !!

I am a beginner knitter

Ravelry: knitandpurl520
knitandpurl520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #770
knitandpurl520
Ribbing the Cuff

Wow!

What a wonderful project! I am actually knitting a small preemie hat right now for some hospitals in my city. Good luck with the project, and if you would like, I can send you the pattern for the hat!

*Handmaiden Rumple Scarf ( ) !!

* Starting some Christmas Ornaments soon from Knit Simple Holiday 2009 issue with Mission Falls Wool !!

I am a beginner knitter

Ravelry: knitandpurl520
knitandpurl520 is offline   Reply With Quote