Old 02-16-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
Mienna
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mienna Send a message via MSN to Mienna Send a message via Yahoo to Mienna
Taking apart sweaters for yarn
I took apart this sweater for yarn and I was wondering what y'all thought would be 'manageable' skeins. The sleeves were 159 yards and 171 yards, would you guys cut them down to 50 yards? These skeins are HUGE because it's thick yarn. Hmmmm

Holly :thinking:
Mienna is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-16-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
feministmama
Instepping Out

I'm partial to longer yards (ie more yarn) rather than how many grams. Who cares how much it wewights when you need to know how long you have to go on a skein ya know? So anyway, I think 100 yards is just right. Now if it is think wool and you're worried about carrying around that much yarn then by all means make it smaller. It's all about who you are making them for. Yourself? Gonna sell them? I think that should be your criteria.
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
Mienna
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mienna Send a message via MSN to Mienna Send a message via Yahoo to Mienna
Just my Mom and I, we're gonna dye them maybe, play around with 'em, I dunno. We have 701 (and I still have the back of the sweather to put into a skein) yards out of one sweater for $3.50, so we're just going to goof around with it, maybe play with kool-aid dyes? wooowoo! Fun stuff!

Holly :D
Mienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
Mienna
1st Leg of the Journey

Here's the sweater in all it's glory.
http://knittingandshtuff.blogspot.com/

Mienna :XX:
Old 02-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

OMG, that was such a *beautiful* sweater!!! How could you bear to take it apart???

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote