Old 02-18-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
TaraJ
Casting On

changing yarn from what pattern calls for?
I bought a pattern to make a hat for my friend's baby (who isn't born yet), but I picked a different yarn than what was called for in the pattern since I didn't think their yarn was that soft. Pattern: TLC Baby, Tiny Tykes - Baby Stripes (just the hat for now!)

Since I am a new knitter, and this is a beginner pattern, I should mention that the hat does have a seam in it, to avoid using circular or dpn. Also, to make it easier on myself since it's my first project, I decided not to attempt the stripes in the pattern and I'm just going to use all one color for now

The original pattern called for Light TLC Sport Weight Yarn (like http://www.coatsandclark.com/find_a_.../html/e511.htm) and says to cast on 77 sts using size 6 needles. The yarn I picked is Lion Brand Velvet Spun (bulky). http://cache.lionbrand.com/yarns/velvetSpun.html

Will this change the number of stiches that I need to cast on? Also, will it change the point at which I start this part of the pattern (which is the end, since right after this, it has the finishing instructions)

Shape Top: K1, * sl next 2 sts tog knitwise, K1, pass the 2 slipped sts over the K st; rep from * to last 1 st; K1 - 27 sts. P 1 row

Next Row: * K3tog; rep from * across - 9 sts. Cut yarn, leaving a long end.

Finishing: "Weave yarn end through rem sts"...does that mean to actually use a needle and take the yarn through the stitches on the needle, or won't there be any left on the needles at that point?

This is the first project I have tried that has an actual pattern, so I am a little nervous about it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

-Tara
TaraJ is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-18-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Pixywhispers
Hey Tara,

Knitting this pattern in chunky weight yarn will create a huge hat!

There are other soft yarns that are in the same weight class. So look for a yarn that is also dk, and you wont have to change the pattern up.

Changing the pattern can be done, but for a easy project it will be easier to find a small velvet then rework it in this chuncky yarn.

HTH

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Pixywhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
You'd have to use 3 to 4 strands of the original yarn to equal the bulky yarn you bought.

Pixywhispers is so right. If you use the same number of stitches for the hat it will be enormous. Larger yarn=bigger stitches=bigger hat.

Here is a site that contains a formula for making hats from any yarn. You determine how many stitches per inch your yarn and needles gives you, and with that figure you can determine how many stitches you should cast on and how to decrease evenly.

You can also look at www.knittingpatterncentral.com for a hat to match your yarn weight.

Or, you can find different yarn.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
TaraJ
Casting On

Thanks!

I will now be returning the yarn that I bought, and look for something else that is soft

I'm guessing from the abbreviations tab, that "dk" is double knit weight (lighter than worsted weight) yarn? Will the balls of yarn say that like where the one I have says "Bulky" - it also says "5" - is there a numbering scheme for yarn weights that I am unaware of? I looked on another ball of Lion Brand yarn and didn't see similar markings, so I am guessing no.

Any suggestions for nice, soft yarn to use for this hat? Preferable something that isn't hard to knit with. I really like the Sugar and Cream - that's what the washcloth I am making for my neice is in (aka my second square to practice knitting ) I have discovered that Fun Fur is the DEVIL to knit with, and all I was trying to make was a bookmark!

Thanks again,
Tara
Old 02-18-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Yarns are changing over to using the number system for weight, but not all have done so yet.

A 5 is bulky, a 4 is worsted, I'd imagine dk is 3.

There are some very soft baby yarns that contain nylon that are available everywhere. They're very soft and easy to knit with. Look for something that says dk, or more likely Sport Weight and you'll be on the right track.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
TaraJ
Casting On

Thank you so much!

I'll keep you updated on my first project!

-Tara
Old 02-18-2006, 09:33 PM   #7
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Pixywhispers
Bernat Softee Baby Yarn, and Bernat Baby coordinates would be some pretty and soft choices. I would have never picked either of them I thought they were too old fashioned looking. But a friend made several baby blankets for Grace out of each of these and they turned out gorgeous!

There are lots of choices. Something I've noticed is to touch the actual skien you want to purchase. In one brand of yarn I buy the varigated is always scratchy and the plain colors are softer. In another brand its the opposite!

Let us know how it goes Tara! I cant wait to see what you find!

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Pixywhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:09 PM   #8
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
I have used the Bernat Softee Chunky(found at most Walmarts and Joann's), and it is just LOVELY to work with! It's really soft and affordable at $1.50 a skein! And it comes in a variety of colors, which, some of my favorites are the pink, grey, and the black.
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote