Old 02-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #11
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
Wow. I'd been looking at using some homespun to make myself a [my first] sweater, but with all the reviews on here, I'll probably pass it up and use a different yarn.
aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-19-2006, 04:48 PM   #12
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

It's really a shame that Lion can't come up with an equally beautiful, soft yarn rather than Homespun. I too have been mesmerized by the colors and when I walk into Joann's or Michael's am immediately drawn to it. My daughter gave me 2 skeins of covered bridge red as part of my xmas gift and I ended up knitting myself a triangular shawl. It's a beast to knit with, too. Always ending up with extra fiber thread even tho' I'd swear I picked up the entire stitch. The join of the two skeins is poking out, but since it' just for around the house when I'm cold, no biggy.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #13
AidanM
Turning the Heel

I can't imagine knitting with the stuff. I've crocheted with it, though, and it works fine for that.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:42 PM   #14
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
My mom crocheted me a pretty purple scarf out of it and had no trouble but then when she tried knitting with it she ended up with a mess and went back to crocheting it... I made a prayer shawl out of it but was using big needles and didn't have a problem and was like wonder why noone likes it :thinking: thennnnnnn I decided to make the half sweater out of what I had left over and used smaller needles and then was like ohhh now I see.. I ripped it out and told mom she could have it to crochet with it kept splitting on me such pretty colors... I hope the sewing the ends down worked!!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:01 PM   #15
Ruby
Casting On

Lion Brand Homespun
Hey, it's working! Sewing in the ends seems to be the ticket. Now I'll have to wear it around a few days to make sure it's tight.
Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #16
samm
Turning the Heel

Boy am I glad I joined this group! I've been struggling with Homespun, just hating it, switching needles, and grinding my teeth and have decided to rip out the back that I finished and try a crochet pattern I found. The colours are soooo pretty, and the yarn is soooo awful. Glad to be not the only one. I was thinking it was just me! samm
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:14 PM   #17
2girlsmom
Ribbing the Cuff

It is so soft and beautiful but the only projects I can handle with success using Homespun are... a 4 1/2 hour crocheted afghan, and the 2 hour knitted scarf on the huge scarf needles. I've tried knitting DD a poncho, then tore it out and tried to crochet it and got annoyed, :( I'm sad that it's not working well for me.

Leighann, married to Charles
homeschooling mama to Gabby (6) and Ruthie (almost 3!)
getting into knitting again... practicing things for now!
2girlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:01 AM   #18
kellyjo32
Knitting the Flap

This is all so funny to me...I've crocheted with Homespun before, it was actually the first major project I did. It was the Diagonal Crochet Afghan on the Lion Brand site, and I love that thing! So soft and beautiful, if you look, I did the recommended colors too, Gorgeous!!
But....then I started on the Hooded Sweater pattern on the LB site, and I didn't think I was disliking Homespun until I read this post!!! I wound up with the mysterious stitches and I feel like I'm always ripping my way through each row. But I love Homespun!!! It's weird. I want that finished product so much, so I guess I'll continue to suffer, but I will keep my eyes out for the ever elusive Homespun look-a-like, but doesn't act-a-like yarn!
Monkey's in STR Titania
My So Called Scarf in Manos del Uruguay 115 (Flame)
Wonderful Wallaby in Berroco Ultra Alpaca
Dale of Norway Sheep Sweater
kellyjo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #19
jhelanee
Turning the Heel

I'm strange: I like LB Homespun. But I definitely agree it has its limitations and aggrevations. I wouldn't use it for something fitted because of the major stretchiness of the finished fabric (especially on large needles), but I love the way it looks and feels in scarves, shawls and simple hats. I find that larger needles are a big plus (I do shawls on 13, scarves on 11 and hats on 8 - which is the smallest I would go). I also think that how you hold the yarn while knitting may be a big factor in how troublesome it is to knit with. I knit with the yarn in my right hand, but hold it loosely between my thumb and forefinger, not wrapped around my fingers. I think the yarn sliding through and around fingers is what (at least partially) causes the "bunching up" many people complain about with Homespun. Usually I don't have too big of a problem with this, but if I hold the yarn too firmly I do.

Recently finished: DH's small-gauge sweater; Secret of the Stole ii - "Savannah"; BSJ (well the knitting anyway)
On Needles: socks; Odessa (from Magknits)

jhelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #20
Ruby
Casting On

Do I have to reply to every new message to receive new ones, or can I simply read the latest post after clicking the e-mail message?
Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote