Old 02-19-2006, 11:53 AM   #21
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Pixywhispers
Amber I totally understand. Lets not talk about the lace bonnet I've been attempting.

It's funny cause my pics of my perfect seam on my mittens shows the seam although in person its hard to see. Pictures are so decieving.

I've thought it would be fun to take pictures of our mistakes and share them. One of those permanent threads. So when we are feeling like a failure we can go look and see that "Oh, this is just part of the life of the knitter."

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Pixywhispers is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-19-2006, 12:24 PM   #22
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

Ditto what everybody else said. The more you practice, the better you'll get. The point is to enjoy yourself.
I think that besides knitting tension, the most important other thing for a good final finished handknit item is finishing techniques, whether seaming or weaving in ends. If you get good at just those three things, you've got it made and will be very happy with the items you knit.
And just for the record, NO. Not perfect, not even after 35 years of knitting. :D

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #23
KristiMetz
Knitting the Flap

I'm a new knitter and I have gotten disheartened a few times with knitting because it doesn't look like I want it to.

Something that has made a difference for me is choosing projects that are appropriate to my skill level.

I see a lot of posts from new knitters all of the time that are doing a really complicated project and they make it look so easy! Which is great for them. But it doesn't come so easily to me. So, instead of doing a complicated lace shawl for my mom for her birthday, I'm doing a simple washcloth and hand towel. :D
KristiMetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:27 PM   #24
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

I agree with Ingrid that photos of my projects look better than...

Fortunately, my most recent projects have been dog sweaters. Funny, the 1st one which I posted photos of turned out better than the 2nd and 3rd...kept having to rip back and redo and STILL had mistakes. However, they still look pretty good and fit my dogs and they are willing to wear them,

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:00 PM   #25
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Mine knitting is not perfect LOL far from it.. in the beginnin I would just rip it out and start over.. Brendajos finally told me to stop and knit a scarf or something.. so I made a baby afghan and it had holes in it but my dh made me keep them in there.. afterwards I made flowers and butterflies to cover them up lol.. I always see my mistakes but usually others do not unless they knit.. I just try to remeber only God is perfect so I will have mistakes in my knitting... I even tell dh to make myself better I put that mistake in there to show that only God is perfect :rofling: Keep it up and agree stop taking it out that was the best advice I got or I'd prolly still be frogging...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #26
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
Quote:
he more you knit, the better you get; the better you get, the more you know how to hide/correct mistakes, because there always are some.
any body else have the bean poem going through your head?????

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:28 PM   #27
Angelia

Old 02-20-2006, 02:05 AM   #28
quirky
Knitting the Flap

I totally agree with everyone here.

But I want to encourage you, in my own words, to stick it out.
You might have read on other posts how it took me 20 years to learn to knit. I kid you not! 20 years of persuing knitting. I dont mean it took me 20 years to "get good" or become an expert. I mean 20 years of trying over and over again to get my hands to actually create just one row of real stitching.

In hindsight its really easy for me now to see that half the battle was a bit of perfectionsim. Never feeling like my attempts were "good enough".
The other half the battle was due to a left hand that kept wanting to take over
At some point though I realized that the whole point of knitting was to just enjoy the process. Thats why I wanted to knit in the first place!

Right now I am knitting my first sweater. I have frogged that poor puppy until it has "croaked". lol
But I realized that if I never finish it - because I want it to be so "perfect" I will probably never really get on with learning. And I will have spent my time hating knitting. Not loving it.
Its a rut I dont want to be stuck in.
So I will finish my sweater and move on - and Ill wear my first sweater around the house and in the garden and I will be really proud that I actually knit a sweater!! Yay!!

"Never EVER give up."
quirky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #29
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA
Originally Posted by Amber
LOL, okay, I guess "perfect" was kind of a strong word. But seriously, when I look at people's FOs on here, I think they look pretty close.
Well of course we turn the booboos AWAY from the camera you know..
Yep, the photoside is much better. My stuff would look perfect if I could play with photoshop more, too! :-)

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:16 AM   #30
knittingdoula
1st Leg of the Journey

I have to admit, I like a "perfect" product from myself. So I demand a lot. Sometimes it even works!

Look, the fact is that some knitters pick it up very quickly and have the manual dexterity to do complex projects and even stitches. For most, it is a combination of talent, time and perseverance. Some people are naturally talented, and others ..... :rollseyes:

Perhaps it would be good for you to track down a more senior knitter who can sit with you and help you analyze where you're going wrong. Making the same mistake over and over again would simply infuriate me, and I appreciate a critique of my work in order to learn new tricks and improve. I taught a girl in my community how to knit, and it took quite a few times of really WATCHING her fingers move to figure out where she could improve.

Mentoring isn't just for kids .... and we all learn in different ways. Yours may be visual. Good luck! And keep at it, because ultimately, it's about the joy of knitting ....

Alison
----------------------------------------------------------

Obsessive knitter and yarn addict. Mama to Jenna (24), Liza (our angel), David (7), Miriam (1) and EDD 3/26/07. Wife to the spectacular David, who encourages and finances my addiction. I am blessed.
knittingdoula is offline   Reply With Quote