Old 02-21-2006, 08:26 AM   #31
Celine
Turning the Heel

Perfect??
I've been seriously knitting now for the past six months. I have to say its getting better as I go along. Right now I'm into knitting Toe Up socks and on my 5th pair. They are not perfect but really come out well!!

When I knit if I do notice a BIG mistake to me then I do rip it out and pick up from that point and continue. :XX: :XX: I've done this about three times on a cable scarf I recently finished. It was worth it to me to rip it out because now it looks...almost perfect!!

Just don't be too hard on yourself!!
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #32
PurlyGyrl
Working the Gusset

Sorry, perfect knitting just makes me laugh Me, perfect . Nope, not perfect--sometimes my knitting doesn't even LOOK like knitting

I'm PurlyGyrl on Ravelry, too!
I just don't know how to do that button thing
My favorite blue eyed guy
PurlyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:17 PM   #33
Angelia

Old 02-22-2006, 11:34 PM   #34
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

I finally thought of an answer that fit me... and I hope it hasn't been used yet... I'm too impatient to read all the pages of this thread first...

When my my knitting becomes perfect...that's when I will become bored. So, I hope I am never perfect... I want to be good, yet appear perfect.

Amen
Old 02-23-2006, 06:21 AM   #35
nurseratchit
Casting On

I am very proud of my first imperfect scarf from a "how-to-knit" kit. At first I was pointing out all the mistakes to everyone but then realized they didn't notice them until I pointed them out! It is at least 10 stitches wider on the finished end than the beginning end but I don't notice it either when it's wrapped snuggly around my neck. We are our own worst critics. Don't give up! Who knows, one of those mistakes may spur a burst of creativity!

Haven't thought of anything clever to put here yet. :-)
nurseratchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:24 AM   #36
Angelia

Whenever she feels the curse of perfectionism hit her, one of my knitting friends at work uses a piece of advice from her grandmother: Nobody can see it if you're on a trotting horse! :rofling: :rofling:

As has been noted earlier, we're harder on ourselves than we should be. Think of the kind words each of us offers to others on their work; why can't we be that kind and forgiving to ourselves? It's madness!
Old 02-23-2006, 11:13 AM   #37
Amber
Working the Gusset

Well, I have to say that I am feeling so, so much better about this. Last night I finished my first sweater that I would call a "success." It is far, far from perfect, but I'm gonna wear it with pride!!

Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:09 PM   #38
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
I was at the doc on Monday, and a man in the waiting room was mezmerized by my needles....he said his g'ma used to knit, and he always enjoyed watching her. He asked if I could tell machine knitting vs. hand knitting...I said...yeah, machine knitting is PERFECT....I then went on to say, that I hope like you guys said, that mine isn't ever perfect, because then I'll be done learning!!!

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:03 AM   #39
RosesArePurple
Casting On

Amber,

I just posted my first attempt at stockinette stitch in the Whatcha Knitting forum. It's called First Washcloth.

I don't know if I'll get better myself, but I thought you might like to see some other sad attempts at knitting.
RosesArePurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:12 AM   #40
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by nurseratchit
... Don't give up! Who knows, one of those mistakes may spur a burst of creativity!
OK, first of all, your name!!!
Second, I agree completely!! I have been knitting for over a year now, and only just realized I was twisting my stitches but every time I make a mistake, I smile, finish it anyway, and put it in my 'whoops' bag. 'Whoops'es remind me of neat ideas that I had that I didn't know how (at the time) to implement properly, or to always check my gauge, and generally of how much I've improved over the last year.... and I've started keeping a knitting journal too, for the same reasons.
I have to say, if you're just learning, make stuff for kids. They love getting gifts, they appreciate the time put in and are so proud (no matter how ugly it may be!!!) that they have something that Mommy/auntie/granny made JUST FOR THEM that it's totally gratifying. Plus, they out grow things quickly, so you won't have to look at it for too long!!!

My Patterns - so far
Last Minute Scarf,Sideways Rib Reversible Scarf, Trinity's Top, Hunter's Itty Bitty Baby Socks
punkhippiemom is offline   Reply With Quote