Old 02-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
mintdee
Working the Gusset

What is it about knitting...
That brings people together? I was in Barnes and Nobles today killing time between classes looking at knitting books. This woman walks up and started looking at knitting books as well. When she reached to get a book she said "Like I need anymore" I laughed and agreed with her. We went from there to talking about all sorts of things knitting and family related. We stood there talking for about 20 mins! I of course mentioned knitting help. Never would I just have a random conversation with a stranger (way too shy) its amazing. Needless to say that although I was not planning on buying anything I walked out with Chick knits (on sale) and EZ's knitting without tears (I went to Panera bread afterward and ended up reading most of the first chapter before checking the time and realizing that I missed my second class ) EZ is so interesting! Anyway I thought that it was funny so I had to tell you all about it. Chick Knits looks interesting so far, I haven't been able to look at it to much yet thanks to EZ :D

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. Aristotle

OTN:
sweater from hell for TJ
simple socks
mintdee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-20-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

OMG...I have been wondering that myself for a long time!

I work in a library and have ordered new knitting books and when someone checks out the books, and they are usually beginners, I always write down the address for this site. I demonstrate the videos on my computer for them and suddenly I have a new friend. We talk way too long about knitting ( I should be working) but we are drawn together by this one hobby.

I have also wondered why knitting is so much more relaxing (imho) than other needle crafts.

Jackie
Old 02-20-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
Originally Posted by Jackie M.
I have also wondered why knitting is so much more relaxing (imho) than other needle crafts.
I think it's the way your hands move. I've done some reasearch on that and sometimes you are relaxed by a certain way you move your hands.

Maybe knitting has this same effect? :thinking:
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:43 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
I would bet money that the act of knitting changes the brain chemistry. I know that I feel different when I knit. When it's chaotic at work, people ask me how I stay so calm. My only answer? "I knit." They think I'm joking!

I have taught/helped 5 people at work with their knitting and they always come to me so, so excited when they either do something new or get a new yarn. And you know what? I'm equally excited, and it's NOT because I taught them. I'm excited, I guess, because I understand their excitement.

I think those of us for whom knitting becomes a passion are kindred spirits.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
feministmama
Instepping Out

I think its becuase knitting (and crochet too I guess) is so forgiving. With sewing, if you make a mistake you're bummin but with knitting you can just rip out and start again. Also I think the softness and yumminess of yarn is attractive to people. Soothing if you will. Wheras palin ole fabric is just...well..fabric. you can make fabric out of knitting or anything really. SO knitting is more versatile that way. Oh hell, we're all so biased anyway so take whatever I say with a grain of saltiness. :rollseyes:
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
Andrea
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via MSN to Andrea
Re: What is it about knitting...
Originally Posted by mintdee
Needless to say that although I was not planning on buying anything I walked out with Chick knits (on sale) and EZ's knitting without tears (I went to Panera bread afterward and ended up reading most of the first chapter before checking the time and realizing that I missed my second class ) EZ is so interesting! Anyway I thought that it was funny so I had to tell you all about it. Chick Knits looks interesting so far, I haven't been able to look at it to much yet thanks to EZ :D
I went to Border's today hoping to buy the EZ book, but they didn't have it! :( I saw it on Amazon, so I might try there instead!

No chorus?
Houyhnhnms!
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
AidanM
Turning the Heel

I KNOW that crochet and knitting change brain chemistry. Knitting gets me focused, I become very intent on each stitch.

Crochet usually lets me daydream and think more, since I'm better at it and I don't need to pay as much attention to it. I often ponder problems while I work, and I usually end up feeling as though I'm in some sort of meditative state where the brain works without much guidance from the consciousness. When I don't end up like that, boy to projects seem to drag on foreverrrrrrrrr!

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #8
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

I agree- there must be a chemical change when we do handwork. There's something almost hypnotic about knitting to me!

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
Knitters bond.. that's a simple fact.

The other day i was getting the oil changed in my car. I was at one of those "super lube" kind of places and normally i sit in the filthy waiting room with a bunch of men talking about their trucks, oil weights and other things that i do not relate to.

However the last time i went, the waiting room was filled with women - five, including myself. One woman was knitting a fuzzy scarf and she was VERY gregarious by nature. She was sort of making conversation and joking about her knitting when another woman and myself engaged with her in a knitting discussion. It seems the other woman sitting there had suffered a stroke (from an aneurysm) in July and hadn't knitted since. So the gregarious woman knitting the scarf (who was a physical therapist) handed over her knitting and kindly cajoled her to start again. At first the woman politely refused but then she started doing row after row. It was funny, the gregarious woman immediately pulled out a different project and started working on that so that the woman who had had a stroke wouldn't feel like she had to hand the scarf back.

We all sat and discussed knitting while the other two college-aged girls watched. When the stroke sufferer's car was done, the physical therapist handed the knitting to me so i wouldn't be bored. I handed it back to her when my car was done. She was so pleased that the scarf had been in the hands of other knitters and would tell the recipient it was knitted with love.

To be honest, it was a bit surreal to be sitting in a filthy "super lube" kind of place discussing knitting. I think we made the guy behind the desk a little uncomfortable..

But those're knitters for ya! Friendly among comrades!

-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #10
ecuzzacrea
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to ecuzzacrea
fun stories!

a group of us knit every Wednesday night at our local Starbucks and not one week goes by that we're not asked about knitting or something like that. lots of people just ask what we're doing and give us compliments too which is cool.

i knitting!
ecuzzacrea is offline   Reply With Quote